Full-Time Head of Product / Director of Product
We’re looking for an experienced product leader to help shape the future of the UK’s leading family history company. Findmypast has 8 billion historical records and 18 million registered users globally, and has helped transform the way people learn about their ancestors. Genealogy and family history is a high-growth market that is changing quickly, and shipping compelling products that help our customers make discoveries about their families and themselves in new and meaningful ways will be central to our success. Reporting into the CEO, you’ll have a strong track record of building product teams, shipping successful consumer digital products, and optimising ecommerce funnels.
Hire, develop and lead a high-calibre team of product managers, product owners and designers, building a culture that values data and customer insight, good design, and efficient, repeatable processes.
Work in close partnership with product engineering to create simple solutions to hard customer problems and ship easy to use and effective family history experiences that help our customers make discoveries about their family histories.
Influence the product strategy that’s at the heart of our business growth. Informed by data and customer insights, market trends, commercial imperatives, and our current platforms as well as the technology landscape, you will develop well-informed opinions while being open to thoughtful discussion and collaboration with colleagues to build product plans and prioritise initiatives.
Report regularly into the executive team and board. You will be able to explain the why and how of the product, bring to life product roadmaps, and reflect on the costs and benefits, customer impact and commercial value of product initiatives.
- An effective leader. Identify and retain outstanding product people. Able to lead and influence without telling people what to do. Get into the detail while also pointing to a long term vision
- A problem solver: you spend your time figuring it out rather than explaining why it can’t be done. Bias for action and getting things done.
- Knowledge of modern ecommerce best practices like experimentation, CRO, digital and social marketing, analytics platforms, UX and user testing, software development approaches like scrum and XP. Mobile, search and API experience will help.
- Understand consumer products both from a customer and technology point of view
- Collaborative, and an excellent communicator at all levels
- An interest in family history, new technologies and innovations in the market (AI, VR, DNA for example), and passionate about customer experience
- Work between our Dundee and London offices; occasional travel to the US
One of the leading websites for family research in the world, Findmypast has helped to transform the way people learn about their ancestors. With over 8 billion historical records, we work tirelessly to digitise the world’s archives and help people discover and share their family stories. 18 million users have registered with our products and services around the world, which include Findmypast, Genes Reunited, and the British Newspaper Archive.
We’re a British-owned company of 150 based in Shoreditch, London and Dundee, Scotland. We work in small, collaborative, cross-functional teams to solve customer and business problems. Our work combines technology and innovation with personal human stories, and we enjoy celebrating success together. There are tech demos weekly, a monthly lunch for everyone, and parties and charity activities during the year. In a continuous learning environment and a fast-moving market, there are real opportunities to gain new experiences and make a lasting mark on our product, business, and customers.