Full-Time Head of Product
About Boiler Room.
Boiler Room is the world’s leading community of underground music fans. We live-stream DJ sets and live gigs from music hubs such as London, Berlin, New York, Paris, LA and >60 other cities to music lovers all over the world. It started as a webcam taped to a warehouse wall in East London – in five years Boiler Room has grown to become the online home of underground music, and also a complex broadcasting and editorial platform in its own right.
We are currently in the process of building the next generation of Boiler Room apps. We have upwards of a million users interact with our products a month, and that’s not including the hundreds of millions of views that our videos have accumulated on YouTube and Dailymotion. We want to create a completely unique app experience that lives up to the quality of our live shows.
You’ll be working in our new office in East London and you’ll of course be able to go to and invite your friends to the exclusive parties being live-streamed on the site.
About Product at Boiler Room.
Boiler Room product team is mostly in-house designers, developers, and a product managers. We have some remote developers also.
We heavily lean towards user research informing our product, and we run Lean experiments to verify our hunches quickly. We try and be as user-centred as possible, and use data (small or large) to help us decide what to build.
We have iPhone and Android apps launched, a website with users in the millions, Apple TV app about to launch, and more TV apps on the horizon.
We’re a high-performing, close team, that collaborates at all levels of decision making.
Boiler Room is hiring a Head of Product to lead the development of multiple products across web, mobile, and TV (OTT). Boiler Room is looking for an experienced Head of Product that is motivated to deliver the best experience across all devices for underground music fans.
Boiler Room are looking for an experienced product lead that is happy operating with uncertainty, is used to leading a strong team to ask the right questions and solve the most pressing problems, and has excellent experience in communicating progress and has brilliant stakeholder management.
This role is best described as:
50% high-level product vision / strategy / portfolio roadmapping with execs & various senior stakeholders. Facilitating senior teams and people to help them work in a more product-led way and to define the direction of the portfolio of products.
50% working with the product team to ensure they are delivering products in-line with the overall vision and strategy. Coaching the product team and helping them own the individual product roadmaps.
- Refine and communicate the product vision
- Lead the overall product strategy for the joined up suite of products, and how these contribute to the business
- Lead the portfolio roadmap of products across web, TV, mobile (getting support from product managers)
- Recruit and grow the product management team (hiring and mentoring more PMs)
- Helping facilitate the whole product team (design, development, content, product management) to deliver the best possible products for end users, managing their efforts effectively
- Stakeholder management: Informing and consulting team members from marketing, commercial, music, production, to ensure the product portfolio roadmap takes into account all needs
- Help develop the user research programme with the design team to ensure that the right questions are being answered, and the right user input makes it to the product roadmaps
- Process: help shape and refine the existing process to ensure that each product is running smoothly, as well as wider needs are being captured, and the entire business is aware of all product changes
- Worked on a product team in a startup
- Experience in user research techniques, and ow these can be used to validate product decisions
- Excellent stakeholder management skills, working with many non-product stakeholders (marketing, commercial, music, etc.)
- Worked on defining new products
- Shipped features across different touch points (mobile + web etc.)
- Experience with media, OTT, or streaming video preferred
- Experience in line management preferred