Full-Time Product Manager – Training
The UK`s National Physical Laboratory (NPL) sits at the intersection between scientific discovery and real world application. One of the top three National Measurement Institutes (NMIs) in the world, our expertise and original research have benefited UK citizens and the UK economy for over a century.
NPL Training provides cutting edge measurement training to underpin the UK’s prosperity and quality of life and is working to define the measurement skills landscape, from Apprenticeship level upwards. Working with key partners, we provide measurement training that addresses real industry needs using current and emerging delivery methods. We create impact by supporting productivity improvements for businesses and skills development for individuals throughout their careers.
We have ambitious growth plans over the next five years and are looking for a talented and experienced product manager to contribute to our product growth strategy.
As a Product Manager, you will own, define and provide leadership throughout the product lifecycle for a portfolio of Training Products, prioritising those for development that are of high impact and commercial value and which deliver metrology skills to customers via market leading solutions. You will ensure that NPL`s New Product Introduction (NPI) activity is embedded, that new products and services are created from the underpinning science base in response to robust evidence of industry need and that they are commercialised as quickly and effectively as possible.
Working as part of the Training team, you will:-
• Have shared financial targets for growing NPL’s business (revenue and margin) from the introduction of a pipeline of new services, developed out of the research activities of NPL and our collaborators
• Use NPL’s NPI process to identify and select opportunities for the development of new, high value or high impact services. You will work with colleagues across the business and in external markets to develop those services and take them to market
• Gain a deep understanding of customer and stakeholder needs in the target Sector and identify candidate technologies within the NPL research programmes that can be developed into new measurement services to meet those needs
• Develop novel business models for product delivery as part of supporting business cases for selected new services
• Use the Sector and other high level business strategies to inform the selection of candidate new services to meet the grand challenges defined in those strategies
• Act as the voice of the customer throughout the product lifecycle to ensure that new services deliver the greatest possible benefit to NPL’s customers and maximum possible financial return to NPL
• Champion the NPI process across the business, providing facilitation and guidance to technical and management teams and enable the wider adoption of those practices across the business
• Work with NPL’s sales and marketing teams to take new services to market, developing suitable channels to target segments and supporting multi-media sales collateral material
• Develop personal networks with customers and stakeholders in the target Sector and use those networks to capture market needs for new services as well as obtaining feedback on their experience of existing NPL services to inform future enhancements.
Skills and Experience
• Significant experience in Learning and Development in a training environment
• Skilled in designing training plans/programs from scratch with sound knowledge of different learning methodologies
• Promotes a strong focus on the needs of customers, suppliers and delivery partners
• Experienced at leading the transformation of services to users, moving to a digital approach whenever possible
• Anticipates and meets the training and development needs of an increasingly global workforce
• Using data analysis to measure the effectiveness and efficiency of learning and development
• Outstanding problem solving, project management, planning and people influencing skills
• Commercial skills including strong understanding of operational business revenue, cost drivers, and ROI
• A degree in Science or Engineering is preferred.
Based in a unique, purpose-built research environment, we are located in beautiful surroundings on the edge of Bushy Park, south-west London with a host of onsite facilities. These include a subsidised crèche, restaurant and free parking.
NPL Management Limited is committed to supporting its people to develop both personally and professionally and is committed to equal opportunities. NPL Management Limited is a Stonewall Diversity Champion and an Institute of Physics Project Juno Practitioner.