Full-Time Senior Mobile Product Manager
The New York Times is seeking a passionate, experienced Senior Mobile Product Manager to join our News Experience Team. The News Products team is responsible for the product evolution and business performance of our core New York Times website and mobile applications. We are at the forefront of redefining what subscription-driven journalism can be.
We are looking for a Senior Product Manager who is passionate about mobile, The New York Times and building first-in-class products. The Sr. Product Manager is responsible for managing the product lifecycle for our native mobile platforms (iOS and Android) and will manage two direct reports. The ideal candidate will have strong experience with mobile (smartphone and tablet) app development, agile product development processes and management.
The ideal candidate will possess a strong blend of strategic thinking and operational skills to get features out the door. You will work in a highly collaborative, cross-functional environment with multiple stakeholders. Your focus will be on connecting the broad newsroom and business goals of the organization into a product that continually meets our consumer’s needs.
We are seeking someone who:
- Cares about great user experiences;
- Can vigilantly prioritize in a rapidly-changing environment;
- Can bring clarity to ambiguous and complex situations;
- Understands the importance and balance of user research, data, testing and judgement in the product development process;
- Operates with a sense of urgency;
- Can step outside defined role in order to get something done;
- Is in their element at the intersection of technology, design and business;
- Is infinitely curious about the ever changing platforms on which users consume content.
- Identify opportunities based on user needs, revenue impact and input from stakeholders.
- Use consumer feedback, site metrics, market research, and competitive analysis to create compelling cases for what we should do and why.
- Partner with marketing to find ways to meet subscriber and revenue goals by converting engaged readers into new subscribers and satisfying and retaining our existing subscribers.
- Work closely with advertising to deliver capabilities that meet sales goals.
- Define product roadmap including the strategic approach, key phases of product releases, milestones and deliverables for core news experiences.
- Ruthlessly prioritize what the team works on and be able to clearly explain why these initiatives are important to our larger company goals.
- Clearly and effectively communicate the what, the why and the how up and down the organization including, but not limited to major launches, status of roadmap and goals.
- Work closely with the newsroom, advertising, and marketing to ensure that user and commercial interests are balanced and aligned.
- Partner with technology, design and editorial teams to develop and execute against product roadmaps.
- Build strong cross-departmental collaborative relationships with stakeholders that generate positive feedback (this includes engaging program stakeholders in the goal-setting process, defining high-level priorities, keeping them in the loop, and managing smooth execution amongst them).
- Scope feature requirements, write use cases and specifications for product launches via JIRA, Confluence and other tools.
- Monitor key performance metrics, clearly communicate what the numbers represent, and provide insight to drive product development recommendations.
- Passion for The New York Times and our mission.
- 5 to 7 years of product management experience at a medium-large scale media or consumer product focused company.
- 2-3 years of management experience.
- Experience deploying to Google Play and the Apple App Store.
- Strong skills in data analysis and interpretation; deep experience with analytics platforms (e.g. Google analytics, Localytics) and AB testing methodologies.
- Excellent customer intuition; demonstrated success in creating innovative and user-friendly, customer-facing features and communicating these through wireframes and mockups.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a highly matrixed organization to create a results-driven, team-oriented environment.
- Willingness to roll up the sleeves and do whatever is necessary to meet team goals.
- Nimbleness and comfort with ambiguity; a track record of responding quickly to rapidly evolving threats and opportunities.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to know an audience and to communicate clearly and concisely across written, verbal and visual mediums.
- Bachelor’s degree and related experience required. MBA or highly specialized experience (technical, journalistic, marketing or usability) a plus.
- Committed to supporting the career development of direct reports.