Full-Time Vice President Product, News Experience
Who are we?
Within Product & Design, our News Experience team is responsible for creating the best digital News and Opinion products in the world that reach over 100 million monthly users and have over 2 million paying subscribers. We deliver award-winning and high impact journalism to readers in over 195 countries around the world on multiple platforms.
The team is highly collaborative and interdisciplinary, working closely across product, design, engineering and project management; partnering closely with the Newsroom, Advertising and Consumer Revenue.
Who are we looking for?
We’re looking for a dynamic and empathetic product leader with experience building consumer-facing products and an ability to foster a culture of effective product management within the team. You should have a strong interest and deep understanding of media market trends, the ability to bring user-centric and analytical thinking to identify customer needs and opportunities that get results. You will help develop roadmaps that result in products our customers love and grow our subscription and advertising businesses. You should love to collaborate with others and solve problems in groups, with the skills and qualities to influence and inspire. And finally, you should have a passion for news and The New York Times.
Why should you apply?
As VP Product, News Experience, you’ll drive the success of The New York Times as a whole by building the best digital news products in the world while also ensuring those products drive our business – advertising and subscription – forward.
- Lead and grow the product management team in News Experience and foster a strong product management culture that incorporates best practices in human-centered design, data and testing, and agile development
- Provide vision and inspiration on where our digital products built around journalism can go
- Help set the product strategy and priorities, in collaboration with design, engineering, the newsroom and revenue, in order to achieve our growth, engagement and revenue goals
- Inspire operational excellence and execution, and ensure team cohesion across our core digital products and stakeholders
- Drive the prioritization, development, and execution of the roadmaps for all the places where readers consume our journalism – NYTimes.com, iOS, Android and emerging platforms
- Serve as a coach and mentor to product managers and others within the Times
- 10+ years of product management experience, with a track record of building consumer facing products at scale
- 5+ years of experience building teams and managing others, including managers
- Expertise with certain product management best practices including techniques for identifying customer needs, hypothesis-driven roadmaps, AB testing and data analysis
- Deep understanding of technology, internet and mobile economics and connecting user behaviors to business outcomes
- Industry expertise that includes media consumption, digital advertising and digital subscriptions
- High “signal to noise” capability i.e. sharp intellect and critical thinker, able to identify what is most important amidst a large set of priorities and data points
- Strong listening and soft skills, with the ability to drive peak performance within the team, collaborate effectively with peers and influence at the executive level
- Work effectively in a global, matrixed environment
- Clear and persuasive communication skills across mediums
- A passion for building consumer-facing products and for The New York Times.