We’re currently on the lookout for talented designers to join us in our (fast growing) studio in SOMA, San Francisco.
So if think you’ve got what it takes to create digital products and services that break new ground for some of the biggest brands on the planet, we can’t wait to hear from you.
About the role:
At Potato, best in class software development and human-centred design are at the heart of everything we do. We’re a talented bunch of problem solvers who are committed to finding a better way; delivering smarter products that provide more satisfying experiences and more valuable outcomes for our clients and their users. Our clients include Google, Mozilla and the BBC.
As a design team, we want to appeal to both the head and the heart. As a designer we expect you to be able to constantly question and reassess both your own work and that of your team to make sure you’re delivering the right kind of experience for the intended audience.
We know that designers come in many different flavours and acronyms. We’re looking for someone who has the right mix of design thinking and practical skills, and is comfortable picking the right tools and activities for projects.
This role will see you working as part of a friendly, expert team, where everyone is responsible for the user experience of what we design and build. As cross-disciplinary teams, we all share the responsibility for bringing to life the concepts we create together. While pragmatism should always be in the back of your mind, we need people who can both champion their vision, but also be open to discussion while balancing both the practical and the inspirational.
Your portfolio should show that you are used to working on projects at all stages: participating in initial sketching brainstorms, meeting with clients, fleshing out creative concepts, crafting the experience across multiple channels and devices, and liaising with our large pool of developers to bring everything to fruition to your own exacting standards. You should have strong soft-skills and be confident presenting in front of clients and colleagues alike while thinking quickly.
Whether it’s a rapid design and usability review of an existing app, or taking a project from requirements gathering to polished designs, prototypes and build you should be able to demonstrate clear design thinking and a thorough understanding of design principles, underpinned with evidence wherever possible and appropriate. You should be comfortable working both to clients’ existing design systems and starting completely from scratch on brand new projects with minimal guidance.
You must have:
- At least two years of experience in a related field
- A portfolio with real world examples of projects you helped launch
Ideally, you also:
- Demonstrate how you influenced live projects through user research
- Communicate the rationale behind the design decisions you made for projects in your portfolio
- Demonstrate where you were able to use visual design systems and/or brand guidelines across a range of platforms
- Written communication is also an essential part of the role and you should be comfortable analysing and communicating content requirements as well as producing well-worded deliverables for clients. Examples of multiple types of deliverables in your portfolio is helpful