Are you passionate about leading a team of product designers to elevate the importance and value of good user-experience design and visual design? Do you have proven success, patience, and commitment to drive process and cultural change with an ability to build consensus across multiple constituencies? Do you get excited about solving difficult user experience problems, visual design challenges, and identifying solutions to simplify the user journey? Do you thrive in a fast-paced working environment and navigating ambiguity? Do you excel at balancing the goals of the end user with those of the business?
The Product Design Manager will lead a team of product designers responsible for designing best-in-class experiences for Olo’s white-label ordering platform. This role will work collaboratively with engineers, product managers, and other managers throughout the software product development lifecycle. The position requires a pragmatic leader with a user-centered and data-informed approach to design, and an ability to drive design solutions with minimal direction. The ideal candidate will have thorough understanding of contemporary design methodologies, enterprise software, and working with complex experiences.
This is a full-time position in downtown New York City. The Product Design Manager will report to the VP of Product Management.
- Work with the VP of Product Management to set the Product Design vision and strategy for Olo’s design process, and align team objectives with strategic initiatives.
- Drive and advocate product design processes and cultural change throughout the organization to elevate the importance of good design. Empower the product design team to evangelize and promote the design vision and strategy across the organization.
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering teams to execute the roadmap and produce measurable results that support business objectives.
- Understands enterprise goals and KPIs to ensure value is delivered against them.
- Develop and build relationships across teams to promote collaboration and champion great UX and visual design.
- Facilitate brainstorming and work sessions with cross-disciplinary teams to move research findings into vision and design strategies.
- Lead and motivate a team of Product Designers to increase productivity, create quality user experiences, and conduct assessments to verify usability, stability, and visual design.
- Work closely with Product Designers and Product Managers to incorporate market analyses, data-driven insights and user research findings to drive design decisions.
- Own the end-to-end design process, ensuring timely, detailed, and polished deliverables. Provide hands-on design assistance to your team as needed.
- Work closely with Product Designers to design solutions throughout product lifecycle from concept to launch to continuous improvements.
- Help to size and scope research efforts, balancing adherence to strict methodological standards with the need for lean, timely research.
- Align and connect user experience efforts and visual design principles across products and projects.
- Define and understand use cases and UX requirements, storyboard, create interaction flows, wireframes, mockups, interactive prototypes, and detailed design specifications.
- Utilize numerous prototypes and design ideas to organize information into different themes. Stay abreast of developments in the product design field and apply new approaches to design where applicable.
- Hire, manage, mentor, and develop product designers and researchers.
- Guide junior team members in strategy, alignment, analysis, and execution tasks.
- Conducts annual and mid-year reviews, reviewing individual development plans and providing performance feedback.
- 4+ years of user experience and visual design for software or web applications which leverage emergent technologies, eCommerce and enterprise design.
- 2+ years of successfully managing people and Product Design teams.
- Demonstrate a portfolio of work with a proven track record for solving difficult UX and visual design problems with mobile layouts in mind.
- Strong knowledge of Sketch, Figma, Flinto, Zeplin, Marvelapp, and other design tools.
- UX disciplines such as UX research methods, information architecture, usability testing and content strategies.
- Visual design expertise
- Experience closely collaborating with technical teams.
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to manage multiple work streams.
- Experience guiding or managing user research and usability testing.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills.
- Experience presenting design concepts clearly and persuasively to colleagues, partners, stakeholders and executives.
- Relentless desire for innovation, balanced with business needs and user expectations
- Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Olo is the on-demand interface for the restaurant industry, powering digital ordering and delivery for over 200 restaurant brands. Olo’s enterprise-grade software powers every stage of the digital restaurant transaction, from fully-branded user interfaces to the back-of-house order management features that keep the kitchen running smoothly. Orders from Olo are injected seamlessly into existing restaurant systems to help brands capture demand from on-demand channels such as branded website and apps, third-party marketplaces, social media channels, and personal assistant devices like the Amazon Echo. Olo is a pioneer in the industry, beginning with text message ordering on mobile feature phones in 2005. Today, millions of consumers use Olo to order ahead (SKIP THE LINE®) or get meals delivered from the restaurants they love. Customers include Applebee’s, Chili’s, Chipotle, Denny’s, Five Guys Burgers & Fries, Jamba Juice, Noodles & Company, Red Robin, Shake Shack, sweetgreen, Wingstop, and more.
Olo is located at 26 Broadway in the historic Standard Oil Building, the former home of John D. Rockefeller. We offer great benefits, such as 20 days of Paid Time Off, fully paid health, dental and vision care premiums, stock options, a generous parental leave plan, and perks like FitBits, rotating craft beers on tap in our kitchen, and food events featuring our clients’ menu items (now you know why we give out FitBits!). Check out our culture map: https://www.olo.com/images/culture.jpg.
We encourage you to apply!
At Olo, we know a diverse and inclusive team not only makes our products better, but our workplace better. Many groups are consistently underrepresented across the tech sector and we are fully committed in doing our part to move the needle.
Olo is an equal opportunity employer and diversity is highly valued at our company. All applicants receive consideration for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you like what you read, hear, and/or know about Olo, and want to be a part of our team, please do not hesitate to apply! We are excited to hear from you!