In a nutshell
Over the last year, we have witnessed a major transformation for Ocado Technology and the Ocado Smart Platform (OSP). From weathering the pains of customers placing their first orders, to offering an online retail solution that has helped rocket our business to the FTSE 100. Not only are we ‘live’ and successful for a major retailer but we are well underway in realising our vision in becoming the leading retail online platform provider, with four of the world’s leading retailers already on board.
We need to match this change in gear with a significant evolution in the capacity of our Product Team to support it – we need to build increasingly complex capabilities, at pace, with a growing number of international clients – all with a strong voice. Key to achieving this, is growing our product roles in our Technology organisation. Through this, we hope to bring the best of product and engineering expertise to bear so we can achieve our mammoth mission as well as creating rich and rewarding careers.
To spearhead this change, we are building the senior team, starting with four Heads of Product Management in Technology, aligned to one of the four different product streams of the Ocado Smart Platform.
Your purpose will be to lead product management within the OSP streams for Ocado Technology and perfect the execution of the product vision and strategy as defined by the Solutions Team. You will be working with a broad set of stakeholders to provide clarity of business requirements, and working with engineering teams to realise and deliver great products for our clients. This role is key to bridging the technical and business world and will partner with one of the four OSP General Managers, with accountability for product realisation and leading product teams within each of the streams. The OSP Product Streams are as follows: eCommerce; Fulfilment; Automation & Embedded Systems; and Logistics & Supply Chain
- Aligned with the Ocado Group strategy, design and drive the overall vision and product strategy for the stream
- Pursues and drives strategies that change the landscape of the market and Ocado’s position within the market
- Shapes the product strategy to ensure all teams can build implementable, testable, and maintainable products into the future
- Evangelize the vision constantly so all stakeholders are aligned, have context, and understand where we are going.
- Creates alignment between solutions, design, and engineering across Ocado
- Partner with your stream General Manager to inspire and lead your stream to success
- Be a role model, build and lead a team of strong and capable individuals
- Take a leading role in shaping the Ocado Technology product function to ensure it is fit for the challenges ahead
- You are assertive but diplomatic and have a bias for action, collaboration and optimism
- You are comfortable sorting out ambiguity and can bring clarity of purpose to a conversation
- Ability to communicate directly and clearly, with a strong emphasis on careful listening
- Excellent influencing skills at all levels in the organization, acute flexibility in a dynamic, ever-changing environment
- A proactive problem solver who operates effectively and independently, even in areas of uncertainty and ambiguity
- You don’t settle for good enough, you strive for greatness in every aspect of your work
- Great track record of working with engineering and design teams so that people will always want to have you in their teams
- Experience with managing products built by engineering teams
- Knowledge of multiple functional areas, including product management, engineering, UX/UI, sales, customer support, finance or marketing
- Experience presenting to senior leadership
- Proven ability to deliver on commitments
- Ability to lead and work autonomously
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- You’ve had many experiences defining product roadmaps, building collaboratively with design and engineering peers, and shipping at scale
- Delivery against the product stream goals with measurable value
- Leadership of high performing, strong and capable individuals
- Clear vision and strategy for the product stream aligned with the business objectives
- Strong engagement levels with key stakeholders in engineering, solutions and other key business functions