The New York Times is unrivaled among its peers in the quality, depth and breadth of its journalism. Connecting our expanding readership to the best that the Times has to offer is one of our most vital and exciting challenges.
As the Product Manager, Programming you will be responsible for helping our readers discover and engage with the full breadth of The New York Times. The Programming team works closely with the newsroom, data science and machine learning to make our key discovery surfaces smarter and more dynamic.
This work includes:
- Collaborating with partners across news, product, design, data science, machine learning and revenue to improve how readers discover news across The Times, including on our home screen and story page.
- Using quantitative data and qualitative research to identify and prioritize new opportunities, and running experiments to test and validate new ideas. This includes helping The Times develop a best-in-class experimentation practice across discovery surfaces.
- Partnering with design and engineering to build scalable solutions that meet the diverse needs of our readers on both desktop and native devices.
Ideally you demonstrate:
- Belief in our mission. You have a passion for the news and for making the Times an indispensable daily destination for our readers.
- A user-first mindset. You have a deep empathy for user problems, coupled with a relentlessly curious approach to solving for them.
- Deep fluency in data and insights. You are always looking to better serve your users through qualitative and quantitative insights, and you are confident creating, testing & validating hypotheses.
- A love of product management and design. You can vigilantly prioritize in a rapidly-changing environment and you are well-versed in the best practices of agile product development.
- The ability to get things done. You have a track record of shipping products in a highly collaborative environment with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Identify opportunities to improve our discovery products, and own a prioritized backlog of ideas that you will test and validate through data, qualitative research and experimentation
- Drive multiple significant projects at the same time, and contribute in a meaningful way to the longer-term Programming product strategy
- Partner closely with our machine learning, data science, design and engineering teams to build viable product solutions that meet the needs of readers on both desktop and native surfaces
- Incorporate input from cross-functional partners and connect your work back to our enterprise goals
- Clearly communicate and build alignment across a diverse group of stakeholders, including cross-functional leadership and executives
- Contribute to a culture of experimentation and collaboration across all disciplines and serve as a mentor to other product managers
- Minimum of 4 years product management experience
- Experience in developing a web/mobile product and inspiring software developers and UX/UI designers
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and in person
- Strong grasp of the engineering challenges and core technologies that drive a media business
- Strong knowledge of product techniques, including experimentation and agile development
- Excellent analytical skills with strong user empathy and awareness driven by qualitative research methods
- Real passion for The Times’ mission and a commitment to be a part of our innovation and growth
- This position is based in our New York City headquarters
Benefits and Perks:
- Make an impact by supporting our original, independent and deeply reported journalism.
- We provide competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
- We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
- We offer a competitive parental leave.
- We are committed to career development and ongoing learning, and provide employees $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
- We have frequent panel discussions and talks by a wide variety of newsmakers and industry leaders.
- Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.