About Policy in Practice
Policy in Practice is an award-winning, socially focused start-up company. Our mission is to reduce poverty. We do by simplifying the welfare system using policy insight and clever technology. We offer a range of software tools including the free Universal Credit Calculator and data-driven consultancy services to local authorities, housing associations, and private sector organisations on the impact of policy changes.
Our founder, Deven Ghelani, was one of the architects of Universal Credit, a major reform to simplify the benefit system. He set up Policy in Practice to communicate information to people on the frontline in a fast, user-friendly way, and help people to make the decisions that are right for them.
About the role
We are looking for a tech-savvy and motivated Product Manager to take ownership of our software and help us drive our products forward. Your main focus will be understanding the needs of our clients and ensuring that our software meets them.
This role is a unique chance to help shape the future of our products at an exciting stage of rapid growth for the business. The role offers excellent potential for growth within the company.
Your key responsibilities will be:
• Engage directly with our clients to understand their needs and collect feedback
• Act as a liaison between clients and our development team
• Define a product vision and strategy, based on an understanding of client needs, competition, and company strategy
• Define and prioritise the product development roadmap with the management team
• Manage the day-to-day delivery of the product roadmap, working closely with our development team
• Provide technical support for clients, with basic coding skills (that can be learned) in order to deliver quick and responsive updates for our clients
The ideal candidate
• A passion for creating software tools that improve people’s lives
• A solid foundation in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related discipline
• Strong commercial awareness, with a desire and ability to understand client and market needs
• Ability to translate client needs into technical requirements for our development team
• Experience managing a project and delivering to deadlines, with excellent attention to detail.
• A flexible and creative approach to problem solving
• Willingness to try your hand at any tasks needed to ensure the success of our product
• An interest in how product management relates to wider business development
• Knowledge of or interest in the welfare system
• An understanding of UI / UX fundamentals
• An understanding of and ability to manipulate data on a large scale
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter that clearly outlines your interest in the post, how you fit the person specification and three words that describe your ideal job, to email@example.com by 9am on Monday, 1st June.