TEAM LEADER –
Roads Information Management Project
At Catalpa, we work with people around the globe to create change. We use design and technology to connect people, make information accessible, and nudge behaviours for social good. Our software programs are in aid and global development, spanning education, health, social inclusion, environment, aid transparency, labour mobility and more. Check us out at www.catalpa.io
Catalpa has been contracted to assist the International Labour Organisation (ILO) in design, development, implementation and training for a roads information management system. The system will support the Ministry of Development and Institutional Reform in Timor-Leste, which is responsible for the construction, rehabilitation and maintenance of roads, bridges and flood control projects.
This role requires a strong and experienced professional to lead this project, as it works alongside a multi-disciplinary team, from our designers, software developers, and sector specialists to government officials and front-line workers. It is necessary to have excellent communication skills, in order to navigate the implementation of this innovative project in partnership with International Labour Organisation (ILO), and Timor-Leste’s Ministry of Development and Institutional Reform.
The role is engaged in all stages of the development and implementation of a Roads Information Management product software cycle from the initial planning, product development and iteration, and maintenance/support. Working closely with the team’s software engineers, designers and product manager, coordinating our software development cycles. Working alongside this product team you will ensure the program’s deliverables respond to our partners needs and that program milestones are delivered in a timely manner. It is beneficial to be comfortable with Human Centred Design and Agile methodologies and in exploring new ideas and trying new things.
The Team Leader plays a fundamental role by:
Providing overall leadership and technical oversight for the implementation of the program through;
- Providing an effective link between our partners, key stakeholders and our development teams to evolve a shared vision, direction and roadmap.
- Drafting and managing a realistic work-plan working with stakeholders to support the program’s planned outcomes.
- Participating in brainstorming sessions and contribute ideas to our technology and products.
- Working with the engineering and design teams to understand end-user requirements and manage development cycles using agile methodologies.
- Working with the team to hit release dates and deliverables.
- Ensuring the development and implementation process is well documented and has broad stakeholder support.
- Being responsible for the reporting obligations of the project, as determined by the grant agreement.
- Contributing to Catalpa’s communication efforts with stories and case studies about the program.
- Any other work tasks that may be required to assist with meeting the company’s changing needs.
Relevant mindset, qualifications and experience:
- Smart, energetic, efficient, and self-motivated.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to build and nurture relationships.
- Excellent English written and spoken; knowledge of Portuguese and/or Tetum is highly appreciated.
- Familiarity with Human Centred Design and Agile methodologies.
- Experience managing engineering and design teams through development cycles using agile methodologies.
- History of building and maintaining strong working relationships with stakeholders and managing their expectations
- Appreciation of working in a highly multicultural and dynamic environment. Experience working in a developing country will be advantages.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field, or an intriguing reason for not having one.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of Product Management (software) experience.
- Previous experience working on roads, transport or construction systems would be a beneficial.
- The ability to work in a fast pace environment with strong attention to detail, quality assurance, time management and able to multitask, priorities while meeting timelines on deliverables in a professional collaborative manner.
- A passion for making great software products, and most importantly;
- You’re fun to work with.
Note: This role is for a fixed term for the length of the project. However, Catalpa regularly has new projects and the successful candidate may be considered for other projects at the end of the fixed term.
What does Catalpa offer you?
Catalpa is a growing creative organisation that values people and their ideas. You will get a front row seat in the development of an innovative program with tremendous potential. You get to shape how Catalpa delivers world-class projects that bring together design, solid sector expertise and technology to achieve social good. You will work in a positive and supportive work environment that is focused on achieving high quality results.
Timor-Leste, also known as East Timor, is not too far from Australia yet feels like a completely different world. Since the country became independent in 2002 it has continued to develop its own unique identity, with its Timorese culture, Portuguese colonial heritage and the resistance history. The country is in a period of growth and still has its struggles, however the Timorese are friendly, with high family values and are proud of their independence. The children will warm your heart as they greet you with huge smiles. The island is mainly surrounded by tropical water rich in marine life and sandy beaches with the lovely contrast of rugged mountain ranges in the background. It is a great location for work life balance with warm days and evenings year-round, ideal for snorkeling, scuba diving, hiking, outside yoga or relaxing at a beach side cafe. Depending on your lifestyle it is relatively inexpensive to live here. If you are looking for a change, a new adventure and a role that is making a real difference, look no further.