Hi, I’m Brian, Director of Product at Customer.io,
Have you ever used a product whose ads, emails, texts, and notifications you looked forward to? Whose communications were cohesive and relevant, maybe even fun? I’m looking for a Product Manager who gets excited about helping companies do that. I need you to help us build the best platform for connected experiences.
Our product development is done by squads: small groups of engineers, designers, and a product manager like you, focused on solving a customer problem. You’ll lead one of these squads and own major parts of our roadmap. From conception to far past delivery you’ll stay close with our customers to understand the impact of your work.
We will be accepting applications until June 2nd. There is no advantage to applying early, so take the time to put your best foot forward. Including a product portfolio is encouraged.
At Customer.io we believe that businesses who create strong relationships with their customers will outperform the ones who don’t.
We’re working to make Customer.io the default choice for any internet business to deliver great, automated customer experiences at scale. Customer.io is used by over 1200 businesses to create continuity after a person leaves a website or mobile app. Every message (receipts, win-backs, and onboarding) across every channel (email, push, sms and more) can be managed and measured in Customer.io.
The work you do here will raise the bar for the everyday communications we all receive. It drives us crazy when we get useless emails and notifications that feel like spam from companies we admire. Our customers are marketers, growth hackers, and engineers who are dreaming up ideas for how to be genuine and personal in their messages to customers.
What will you be doing?
- Collecting and analyzing tons of feedback from a variety of sources and identifying underlying user problems
- Defining success metrics tied to business outcomes, then working with designers and engineers to pitch solutions
- Driving those solutions to production while keeping scope in check and validating progress with customers
- Partnering with marketing, sales, and support to implement anything needed (docs, blogs, presentations, etc) to ensure customers get value from features we ship
- Reporting results after shipping, learning from them, and proposing future iterations
You’ll join a team of six, including:
- Brian (that’s me!), our Director of Product, to define a roadmap that balances customer problems, our strengths, and our market position.
- Kate and Brendan: your Product Management crew. You’ll learn from them, teach them, and push each other to do the best work you’ve ever done.
- Ivana, Madeline, and Richard: 3 exceptional Product Designers. We set a high standard for the user experiences we create and the way they affect our customer’s lives.
- An engineering team who is passionate about the product. They’ll help you get the details right and ensure everything is going to scale flawlessly.
- Colleagues in data, marketing, sales, and customer support. We’re a tight-knit company where you’ll get a stream of customer insight from a team who genuinely cares about giving our customers messaging superpowers.
What will you bring to the table?
You’ve got an infectious energy when sharing customer stories. You’ve seen what happens when a team gets aligned around the customer’s experience and are on a mission to help every team you work with achieve that understanding.
Your north star is creating moments where customers hire your feature for their job to be done. Thousands of little things must to go right to produce those moments. To some it feels miraculous that everything lined up, but you know it’s no accident.
You’re hungry to learn, and you love to ask “Why?” one more time. Whether it’s uncovering the true motivation of a customer or the root cause of a disagreement about priorities, you’re always curious and seeking to identify the piece that completes the puzzle.
You’re an exceptionally organized and motivated person. You know what pieces need to come together to successfully run a software development process and make it your mission to help everyone around you keep focused and excited about the end goal.
You take ownership of problems even when the next steps and solutions aren’t yet clear. You’re looking to work with a startup where you’ll have a lot of freedom and be responsible for the impact you make. Working with folks in different timezones will be standard issue for you around here, so being able to stay determined, even when the answers aren’t in front of you, is essential.
You are a proactive communicator. You strive to be articulate and empathetic in your interactions and believe in “working out loud” to share work early and helpfully. You’re an excellent written communicator who values clarity and brevity while avoiding jargon.
Bonus! Not a requirement, but shout about it if you have experience with…
- Experience working on Marketing Tech or Ad Tech SaaS produts
- Using Customer.io or other marketing automation services in a previous role
Why should you work with Customer.io?
We’re in a special moment as a company: small enough where you’ll have a big impact as an individual, big enough to have resources to conquer ambitious goals as a team, yet calm about how we set growth goals.
We offer competitive salaries at or above market rate. We do a lot of research to ensure everyone is paid well. Check out our career’s page for more information on our great benefits and why you should come work with us!
We want to build and maintain a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment where everyone has the opportunity to learn, mentor, and grow. We know that diverse teams make better products, and especially encourage applicants from underrepresented groups to apply — if you have any questions, please let us know via Twitter. We don’t want “culture fit”, but “culture add.” We want people with different backgrounds from the team we have today to bring their perspective and thoughtfulness to the work that we do and the culture we’re always working to build.