This role reports directly to the Director Product Management – Publisher and collaborates with all digital leadership to establish priorities and develop a strategy for NPR content management systems.
A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. NPR listeners value information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide.
The NPR Digital Media product team is where the rubber meets the road. It’s where ideas move from thoughts to pixels to actual products and services that delight our digital audience. We work with a world-class team to make sure our products are used by millions. With a focus on our audience, and through partnership with teams across the entire NPR ecosystem, especially Member Stations, we’re finding new ways to reach, engage and activate our growing audience and drive value for our entire digital network.
As the Senior Product Manager for content management systems, you will own the product roadmap for NPR’s publishing platform, with a heavy emphasis on next-generation publishing and distribution solutions. You will work closely with peers in design, technology, project management and the newsroom to set priorities and ensure a smart, ambitious product vision. You will build relationships with users in the NPR newsroom and our Member stations and become a subject matter expert in their publishing platform needs.
- Reports directly to the Director Product Management – Publisher and collaborates with all digital leadership to establish priorities and develop a strategy for NPR content management systems.
- Own the overall product plan and roadmap.
- Iterate with design and insights teams on research and market analysis to integrate new and innovate product requirements into roadmap that enhance user satisfaction
- Partner with the entire build team (design, engineering, product) to establish requirements that deliver the best possible user experience.
- Collaborate with NPR’s business, editorial, operations, member partnership and project management teams to ensure that all new opportunities are evaluated, tested and rolled out together.
- Define metrics and systems to track product performance. Clearly communicate performance and use data to evaluate and prioritize roadmap.
- Engage with NPR News and Member Stations regularly to maintain expert level understanding of their publishing, distribution and audience engagement problems and how NPR’s digital platform can solve for them.
- Contribute to a culture of collaboration and inclusion across all disciplines.
What We Are Looking For
- Excellent customer experience intuition– demonstrated success in creating innovative, user-friendly websites and/or mobile applications.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills– extreme comfort with data-driven decision making and performing financial and operational analysis.
- Implementation proficiency– ability to translate strategic differentiators into innovative and detailed product requirements.
- Excellent communication skills– demonstrated success for building buy-in for innovate and bold product vision.
- Technical aptitude – ability to understand and discuss architectural concepts, schedule tradeoffs and new opportunities with technical team members.
- 3+ years experience in product management, with experience in the digital media industry a plus
- Familiarity with content management and strategies, including storage, sharing and distribution
- Experience working on agile enabled teams
- Experience working within a network or federated system strongly desired
- Experience building and launching B2B products
- Fluent with the challenges facing journalism organizations in the digital media space
- Passion for public media’s digital future
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.