Product Owner, M&S.com Digital Development
Do you have an eye for frictionless user experiences and know how to create them. Are you passionate about all things agile and lean, with ability to conceptualise and deliver to support our the continuing transformation of our much loved heritage brand?
Everyone shops at M&S for something and everyone has an opinion of M&S.
With a history of ‘firsts’, there has been a quiet revolution happening inside our Digital Development team. Having re-platformed off of Amazon and in-sourced our entire digital proposition front–to-backend and across to agile, we are now a cluster of closely aligned product focused teams relentlessly driving to innovate. We experiment, we make big and small changes, and we enjoy the fact that everything we do has the potential to impact & delight over 32 million customers daily.
Having re-factored, we’ve hit reset. We’ve removed unnecessary rules, stopped generating useless reports, cancelled unproductive meetings and pulled out unused features. Teams ask for forgiveness rather than permission. We’re agile but truthfully, there is still plenty more to improve on and we’d like your help doing so. This is why we will continue to hire like-minded individuals from high growth start-ups such as Lovefilm, Mint Digital, ASOS and Reevoo who bring the right DNA (and fun!) into the Engineering, UX & Product teams across 4 areas – Shopping, Order Management, Customer Support & Digital Stores.
What hasn’t changed? Our commitment to customer delight and integrity to ‘do good’. We’re obsessed with putting them at the centre of everything we do and doing the right thing and iterate constantly making shopping easier and more experiential online, on mobile, in store. We love product managers who can percolate an ambitious vision down to a MVP and heavily encourage building, measuring, learning, and iterating.
Based in Paddington HQ, you’ll be obsessed with delighting millions of customers daily and iterate constantly to improve and redefine an awesome customer experience which simultaneously delivers strong commercial results.
About The Role:
* With your knowledge and instinct the Senior Product Owner will lead, develop and drive execution of their product vision. Ultimately, with his/her team, he/she will be responsible for creating the world’s best shopping experience on & offline and ensure the customer experience is second to none and admired by all.
* Full control over Product Strategy and the entire Product Roadmap for your product area.
Be the intersection between our business, our market, and our customers. Our product owners build products that satisfy all three.
* Know our customers. Form value propositions and validate them through customer development; learning about customers’ shopping habits and drivers by objectively interviewing them and how best to reach them.
* Know our market, our competition and our business models. Identify trends within customer segments and product segments for new products or enhancements for existing ones.
* Keep abreast of new technical developments which could enhance or revolutionise the product and customer experience.
* Deliver products. Roll up your sleeves and make things happen. We expect you to use your product vision and execution instinct to deliver, from scribbling initial wireframes to shipping a product and measuring engagement. You’ll typically have a ‘pod’ of software engineers and UX designers to help you deliver fast, high quality products in an agile environment. We expect you to create a culture of customer-driven development and a real cross-team spirit within your pod.
* Love incredible UX. Collaborate with our UX Designers and UX Lab. Be obsessed with UX and translate your vision into an effective user interface. We expect you to get real feedback from real users to help mould and evolve your product. Iterate quickly to improve the overall experience.
* Have the product vision, customer instinct, and execution obsession with a proven track record of concept through to shipping a transactional/ digital proposition.
* Have an innate ability to empathise and a spidey-sense of product instincts.
* Posses raw intellectual horsepower and the cameleonic ability to adapt to new environments and be open to new trains of thought. Be able to relate to engineers and have a grasp of the technical details driving the product.
*Be a strong, credible communicator with engineers, designers, stakeholders and customers in a way that instills trust. Can convey product requirements to engineers and relaying complicated details to non-technical colleagues and customers.
* Have the ability to channel multiple points of view and experience of having earned authority and lead by influence. Roll your sleeves up and make things happen.
* Be commercially savvy and a sound grasp of retail trends, as well as opinions on the on the retail experience of the future.
What’s in it for You?
* Play a significant role in redefining and delivering innovation inside a much loved brand that everyone buys from.
* You’ll have space to play a key part in seeing through the transformation we have started working with sharp, dedicated and innovative people.
* High impact, high visibility role, not just for delivering for customers but within the Tech ecosystem. Test and iterate new ideas out on millions of customers.
* Be the part of the change where quick decision-making and flat hierarchies enable visible impact contributing directly to the pace of innovation within this unique British heritage brand.
* Be involved and participate in regular external speakers. In the past we have hosted George Berkoski, Lee-Jon Ball, Dave Washa and Joel Ippoliti to name a few.
Timing is right with plenty still to do. Great office & sweet kit.
* ‘Be good’. We’re proud of our commitment to ‘Plan A’.
* Be part of a revolution that’s truly innovating.