For too long, it’s been prohibitively difficult for city dwellers to get into gardening. In an era of same-day delivery, the best plant retailers are offline and out of town. Even in the age of urbanisation, there is a complete lack of brands that are relevant to urban gardens. And, in a world where information is ubiquitous, few people have knowledge about plants or would know where to start.
At Patch, we want to change that. We want to make it simple for people to buy the right plants for them and their space, be it indoors or out. We want to equip them with inspiration and know-how so they can confidently look after their plants and we want to provide superb service and convenience.
Since launching in May 2016, we have made over 60,000 deliveries across London. We’ve been at the forefront in the resurgent popularity for plants in the public eye and have worked with some of the most exciting brands on the planet. We were recently voted 29th in the Startups.co.uk #Startups100. The business is backed by the early-stage investor, Forward Partners, and has recently raised its Series A from one of the most prestigious VCs in the UK, Octopus Ventures.
What’s the opportunity?
This is an opportunity to shape one of the UK’s most exciting and popular new brands as it goes from scrappy startup to household name.
Product Management at Patch covers a wide range of key business areas. We’re a consumer-facing brand which inspires customers into urban gardening, gives them the know-how to look after their plants and we’re a logistics company getting plants from growers to customers in major cities around the world as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Life as a product manager can mean working on any or all of these areas, in order to deliver value to our customers.
We are looking for a Product Manager to join our growing Product team, you’ll work collaboratively with the design, engineering, marketing and operations teams on our key initiatives.
We’re looking for a Product Manager who is excited by the idea of creating a world-class product for a young but very fast growing startup.
What will the job involve?
- Lead key Product development streams
- Research the existing products performance and customer behaviour inform ideas for product improvements
- Carry out user research and interviews with customers
- Defining clear hypotheses for product improvements and establishing metrics to track how we are improving performance.
- Reporting back on tests and using the success or failure of these tests to inform future product development
- Work collaboratively with other business functions to understand their goals and how Product can support them
- Support the Product Lead in setting the strategy and roadmap for Patch
- Break down high-level quarterly objectives and create a structured approach to achieving them through iterative product improvements
- Work side by side with the engineering and design team to define solutions to technical problems
- Ensure product changes are successfully on-boarded into the business by defining clear business processes and training users on how to use new functionality
- Define clear user stories with just the right amount of detail
What experience, skills and traits do I need?
- Someone who is passionate about creating products based on insights from real people.
- You have at least 4 years of experience as a Product Manager or similar role
- You’ve worked on iteratively improving a Product
- You have experience taking a test and learn approach
- You have experience working directly with Engineers/ Developers and Designers
- You’re a strong communicator and enjoy working collaboratively
- You can translate high-level ideas into a structure product roadmap
- You take a user-centred design approach
- You are interested in the process of designing Products and how to improve it
- You love data and metrics
Nice to have:
- You have experience in user research and testing and are happy talking directly to customers about products you are creating
- Working in a startup
- Experience in eCommerce
What’s in it for me?
Patch offers a number of team-wide benefits and perks but if there’s something that’s important to you that’s not on this list, let us know.
- An opportunity to bring online one of the world’s last remaining offline industries
- Highly competitive salary
- Generous plant allowance to help you bring your own home to life
- Regular team socials
- Flexible working arrangements, as long as the work gets done
- Coaching/mentoring budget to help you with your development
- Patch HQ is a beautifully unique building, just a moment’s walk from Queenstown Road train station. As you’d expect, it’s full to bursting with plants.