Product Design Lead – Cloud Foundry
About Us VIDEO
Founded in 2013, Pivotal Software, Inc., combines our leading cloud-native platform, tools, and methodology to empower the world’s largest organizations to adapt to change and build great software. Our technology unleashes developer productivity, while fulfilling our mission to transform how the world builds software.
You are someone who is interested and motivated to build and anchor a design team in London. By demonstrating a substantial contribution to cross-functional teams, you should be excited to support the growth of strong design practices and growing a team with those practices.
As a Product Design Lead at Pivotal R&D London you will leverage your understanding of users and their journeys to define products and services, and support growing a burgeoning design practice. Using generative research and systems design methodologies, you will define and improve software used by thousands of people in Fortune 1000 companies. You will have the opportunity to help frame and prioritize explorations around how customers might use emerging technology in an ever-evolving and complex problem space.
At Pivotal, we are passionate about learning about the cultural qualities that contribute to better digital products. Engineers, designers, and product managers practice cross-discipline collaboration through pairing because we know this is how to grow skills, transfer knowledge, increase cooperation and deliver remarkable results. We work in small balanced teams and rotate between them frequently so that we can discover connected opportunities and explore new ideas together.
Our methodology is about evolving, in both our processes and innovation and our culture is empowering. We subscribe to an ethos of kindness. We make a point to bring our self-awareness and empathy to every project.
We’re looking for someone to build and anchor the design practice in London, establishing a strong design practice then growing a team with those practices.
In this role, you will research, collate and synthesize user needs to help conceive, design, and evolve solutions for our users. Day-to-day, product design at Pivotal includes system design, interaction design decisions for both graphical user interfaces, command line interfaces, and content strategy. Your portfolio will show that you’ve worked in complex problem areas across all steps of the design process: research, problem definition, solution iteration, prototyping, and visual design.
In addition you should have experience in some of the following:
- Practice design thinking methodologies in a team of multidisciplinary practitioners to solve complex problems
- Build and share empathy with people in order to deeply understand them and their needs
- Advocate for users and delivering designs in a dynamic work environment
- Advocate, mentor and educate product teams on the methodology of user centered design and design thinking
- Find a way through fuzzy, complicated, organizational systems
- Know how to derive insights from data and build those into an actionable, measurable plan
- Design and facilitate design thinking workshops
- Collaborate with Product Managers and Engineers on teams to promote a ‘think bigger and act smaller’ mentality
- Present work, concepts and new ideas early and often
Desired skills and experience
- You are someone who can be an expert and advocate for user centered design methods, undertaking explorations into new technologies and territories while also delivering practical designs (system flows, GUIs, and CLIs) in a fast-moving product-service ecology
- You have experience advocating for user centered design methods
- You are okay with the uncomfortable feeling that comes from continuously learning new things
- Experience contributing on cross discipline teams (e.g. working closely with engineering and Product Managers)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.