Product Manager – Sun Savers
News UK is a great company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an organisation that holds print, digital and radio journalism at its very heart. Our newspapers and digital products include some of the most powerful media brands in the English speaking world: the Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun – reaching 30 million people each week, as well as powerhouse radio stations, Virgin and Talksport, and their affiliate digital products.
The Technology department (where this role sits) is a team with people and product at our heart. Passionate and trusted experts creating industry leading solutions through attracting and developing the best talent. CTO of the Year (Tech Leaders) 2017, Christina Scott, leads the department and has worked for many years transforming technology teams in media companies. Your success is our success: we put our staff and their careers first., We’re proud of our collaborative, fun culture and flexible working life.
What it is:
Sun Savers is the digital loyalty programme for readers of the Sun newspaper. We are looking for a Product Manager to provide leadership and direction for both its business and audience facing products. It’s an exciting time for the business, which is undergoing a period of dynamic change, called the tech reset which is aligning workstreams to be more innovative and audience facing.
Sun Savers is a high-profile programme within the business.. We are an agile, cross-functional team working together to ensure the digital products can continue to meet the needs of the business and customers by improving the user experience, underlying platform and operational tools for teams.
Sun Savers is critical to the continued success of the brand and continues to grow its user base, each year. Your role will be to provide leadership and direction to accelerate our capabilities in two key areas:
- In-house – Boost the existing in-house team since moving the design and front end development of Sun Savers from external partners as Savers is now a Core Sun product.
- Rebuild – Redevelop the apps and website to align with The Sun component library to improve UXD. Ultimately easing the ongoing development of new features and responsiveness to the increase marketing promotional activity.
What you’ll do
- Lead a collaborative, cross-functional team, inspiring them to consistently deliver quality products with speed and creativity
- Work with commercial, marketing, audience and editorial to understand what how they want to drive the business and be able to shape products to represent their needs, while also representing the audience
- Provide clear direction for your team; make priority decisions in collaboration with your stakeholders and wider team, and be able to justify those decisions when needed
- Work with others to sell your vision and the product journey. You’ll encourage where you need to, and pivot and persuade where you need to.
- Develop products from green-field MVP all the way to interventions on existing offerings
- create and test hypotheses, quickly and efficiently
- Work with the Discipline Lead for Product to grow your career and learning opportunities, and to identify where you can contribute to the Product Community
- Work with other Product Managers from across the Sun core and affiliate business products to create rich ecosystem journeys for relevant customer segments
Who you are
- You’ve got a significant amount of experience working in an audience-led internet company in a product management capacity – not necessarily in news
- An innovator, with a proven track record of managing and launching new features, products and services
- You’re a detail-oriented self-starter, with a positive attitude, capable of staying on track and discovering solutions to problems without supervision
- Strong negotiation, organisational and facilitation skills. An excellent presenter with exemplary outcome-based meeting skills
- Excellent stakeholder management and negotiation skills, with a proven ability to break down silos and get the job done
- You’re great at translating between the business and technical teams, bridging the communication gap and oiling the wheels of progress
- You’re a compelling storyteller, who enjoys communicating concepts and ideas to engineers, peers, creatives and execs
- You keep an eye on the industry and like to stay ahead of the curve with new technology concepts and ideas. You have a proven ability to bring these in to an organisation and make them real
- A brand advocate and understand The Sun’s role in promoting freedom of speech, freedom of the press and representing those who may feel they have no voice