This is a provisional appointment.
Brief job description (essential functions of the job):
Millions of people interact with the City of Boston digitally each year to do everything from finding information on City services to paying a parking ticket. On the Digital Team – Department of Innovation and Technology, we believe these experiences should be easy to navigate and even delightful. To achieve that goal, we rely on our Product Management Team to lead the transformation of existing digital resources, and define where we need to create something new to improve how the City interacts with constituents online. This role is an opportunity to directly affect and positively impact those who live, work, and come to visit Boston.
We’re looking for a Product Manager to embrace the opportunity and nature of working in civic technology The Digital Team is in charge of defining and implementing an ambitious roadmap for our websites, applications, and other digital products. The Product Manager empathetically collaborates with City departments who have with varying degrees of digital experience, while bringing the perspective of our constituents to the work at hand every day. Our constituents are everyone working, living, and experiencing the City of Boston. . The Product Manager works closely with other members of the Digital Team (specialists in design, engineering, and content) to prioritize features, prototypes, and drive the roadmap for each product. This role reports to the City’s Director of Product Management.
- Works closely with contributors from each department to understand their goals, and help make their information and resources accessible to the public.
- Collaborates with other teams in the Department of Innovation and Technology to ensure compatibility with existing technologies.
- Ensures a consistent and delightful user experience for end users across digital products.
- Understands our end users (residents, visitors). Draws on data and feedback to inform product direction.
- Translates needs form users and departments into an overall vision and product roadmap that is aligned with our digital design principles.
- Prototypes, tests, and iterates on ideas.
- Works with designers to develop flows, wireframes, and mockups.
- Works in sprints with our developers to deliver on the product roadmap. This includes defining our stories, logging tickets, and managing priorities for development.
- Defines and tracks key product metrics; use metric targets to inform product evolution.
- Coordinates launches with internal stakeholders and provide weekly status updates.
- Assists in procuring additional resources (e.g. software), as needed.
- Perform related work as required.
Minimum Entrance Qualifications:
- At least three (3) years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, professional experience in product management, web content management, or related field.
- Strong ability to create simple, elegant user experiences (UX)
- Understanding of user centered design methods and usability best practices.
- Demonstrated track record of execution and entrepreneurial thinking
- Previous experience with building or managing enterprise level products is preferred.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Ability to listen, asks questions, discern nature of problems, and synthesize needs (from internal and external stakeholders) into an actionable product roadmap.
- Experience using analytical and creative thinking to solve problems strongly preferred.
- Strong organizational skills, Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Plus given to candidates with knowledge of product management, project management software, web, and application technologies and best practices, examples: Github, Drupal, web analytics, XHTML, and CSS.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and focus on detail as required by the job.
The DoIT (Department of Innovation and Technology) team makes sure the networks, computers, and systems that support the City are secure and effective. We also manage the City’s websites and technologies focused on service delivery. Our department is led by the CIO. To learn more please visit us HERE: https://www.boston.gov/departments/innovation-and-technology
BOSTON RESIDENCY REQUIRED. You must live within Boston city limits at the start of your employment.
Union/Salary Plan/Grade: SENA/MM1-8
Hours per week: 35