We’re looking for a Senior Product Manager to join our Platform team in Salford to help us grow the BBC’s content enrichment capabilities and lead a team of engineers developing those capabilities.
The BBC has a vast catalogue of content taking many forms such as television programmes, radio programmes and news articles. We have ambitions to increase our understanding of our content catalogue using machine learning based enrichment engines to generate new metadata. We believe this is going to play a key part in the BBC’s future and will enable us to make our product offerings much more personalised by way of improved content discovery and recommendation.
The Platform team are developing two content enrichment capabilities; enrichment engines and infrastructure to support enrichment engines. The enrichment engines need to generate metadata based on inputs such as transcripts, audio and video for use in recommender systems, search engines and more. The supporting infrastructure needs to enable builders of engines to be able to easily integrate them into the BBC’s content pipeline, allowing for experimentation and measurement of impact.
This is an exciting opportunity to shape what we believe is going to be a key strategic capability for the BBC.
- Own and develop a compelling vision and strategy for the content enrichment product that supports the BBC’s ambitions (particularly around personalisation)
- Ensure product objectives are aligned with the BBC’s goals, working collaboratively across the organisation to drive it forward
- Lead and manage the people (engineers) in the content enrichment team ensuring inclusivity, continuous improvement and the opportunity to grow and thrive
- Translate the needs of users into technical requirements and user stories that your engineering team relies on to build and evolve the content enrichment product
- Work with an iterative product development mindset whilst prioritising to maximise value for the BBC and it’s audience
- Define product metrics and track progress towards the most important goals over time
- Work effectively with stakeholders from across the BBC as well as external partners
- Communicate product vision, strategy, progress and priorities to key stakeholders
- Serve as an advocate for the content enrichment product
Are you the right candidate?
- You have done this kind of thing before and have experience managing complex technical products e.g. web & backend systems, data products, data infrastructure
- You have a strong technical background, perhaps you studied computer science or previously worked in an engineering role
- You have leadership and people management experience, we expect you to lead, motivate and develop a team of engineers
- You have the ability to think strategically and craft a compelling product vision
- You are able to manage a diverse set of stakeholders and can create alignment in a collaborative way
- You are an exceptional communicator, both written and verbal, especially of technical concepts
- You have knowledge of API design, databases, data pipelines/infrastructure, data standards e.g. JSON
- You understand how machine learning can be utilised to solve business problems
Contract type: Full Time, Permanent
Location: Salford, Media City
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits – We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here