About the Role
Whether you’re talking about length, mass, time,temperature, electric current, amount or the brightness of light, the National Physical Laboratory sets the standards by which these things are all measured. At NPL, we touch ordinary lives in extraordinary ways and you could too.
NPL’s Time and Frequency group provides cutting edge products targeted at the time sector – applications addressing key innovation challenges relating to the next generation of atomic clocks, timing services and alternative applications of these technologies such as underwater seismic detectors and inertial sensors. Working with key partners, we provide products and services addressing industry needs. We create impact by supporting productivity improvements for businesses, in addition, using new technologies and innovation we aim to continuously improve and transform industry.
Have a look at some of the products/services currently on offer:-
https://www.npl.co.uk/npltime and https://www.npl.co.uk/instruments/caesium-fountain
As a Product Specialist, you will progress a portfolio of Time and Frequency Products and Services, that generate impact and commercial value and which deliver market leading solutions. You will manage existing products and services and use NPL`s New Product Introduction (NPI) process to ensure new products and services are created from the underpinning science base in response to robust evidence of industry need and that they are commercialised as quickly and effectively as possible.
Skills and Experience
- You could either have experience within a technically applied commercial market or have strong technical credibility (through a post doc for example) with less commercial experience but the right mindset and desire to develop into a commercial role.
- Product management or business development experience is desirable.
- Experience in the application timing services and sensors are beneficial. In addition, industry experience in network and communication infrastructures would be an advantage.
- Promotes a strong focus on the needs of customers and partners
- Skilled at working effectively across teams, both internally – science, marketing, sales, legal and externally – with channel intermediaries and product delivery partners.
- A strong and clear communicator. Confident working with technical and non-technical audiences with a variety of stakeholders at different levels of seniority and knowledge.
- Using data analysis to measure the effectiveness and efficiency of launched products and services
- Outstanding problem solving, time management, decision making and people influencing skills.
- A degree in Science or Engineering is preferred.
About The Company
We’re transforming. As a national laboratory, we’re exploring even more commercial routes to market and that’s presenting us with greater opportunity – for you and us. Our success relies on the diversity and talent of our people, we strive to nurture and respect individuals to ensure everyone feels valued and supported to excel in their chosen field. This value is at the core of our organisation.
We believe in a culture of fairness by treating everyone on the basis of their own individual merits and abilities regardless of their own or perceived identity, background or any other factor irrelevant to a person’s work. At NPL we are committed to the health and well-being of our employees. Flexible working and social activities are embedded in our culture to create a positive work-life balance, along with a broad range of benefits. NPL’s values are at the heart of what we do and they shape the way we interact, develop our people and celebrate success.
As part of our commitment to diversity & inclusion, we signed up to the Institute of Physics’ Project Juno in 2015 as a Juno Supporter. NPL were proud to be awarded Juno Practitioner status in 2018. NPL also joined Stonewall as a Diversity champion in 2015, participating in their annual Workplace Equality Index for the equality of LGBT+ community at NPL. In 2018, NPL became a member of the Business Disability Forum and joined the disability confident scheme as level 1 committed employer.
To ensure everyone has an equal chance, we’re always willing to make reasonable adjustments to the recruitment process. If you would like to discuss, please contact us.