We need a visionary Product Manager 👾
Bright Little Labs is building a kids’ media giant for the 21st century. We make kids’ books, games, and products that promote critical thinking, computer science and equality. Our flagship kids story is about Detective Dot – an 11-year-old coder who is on a dangerous mission from the CIA (Children’s Intelligence Agency). We started on Kickstarter, reached 30 countries, got Cabinet Office backing, and have won a few awards. Next up: we’re launching in 22,000 schools, writing the first of 3 books with a not-yet-announced publisher, and we just partnered with Turner (who own Cartoon Network) so we’re making cartoons too.
What we’re looking for
We need a Product Manager to drive our digital product development over the next 6 months – as we ideate, build and develop our new digital platform!
This is an exciting opportunity to lead a small, growing team which includes developers, designers and illustrators in a dynamic and mixed-discipline environment.
THIS IS IMPORTANT: Our character – Detective Dot – is a third-generation British Indian girl. We want to work with people who believe in authentic character creation and we’re actively looking to work with people with lived experience of our characters and her family.
THIS IS ALSO IMPORTANT: We’re now hiring a creative team to help turn Dot into games and cartoons. We’re actively looking to work with people who have lived experience of our character’s culture, and her family life. We value merit, initiative and values over qualifications or industry experience. All of our roles (designers, producers, animators etc.) are here. Please share or apply, and help us to create something amazing.
- Define, build and execute our product roadmap to deliver our digital platform 2.0.
- Ensure our user-centric product experience is imaginative and aspirational for our CIA (Children’s Intelligence Agency) Agents, parents, families and educators. We’re multi-platform, so you’ll make our products talk to each other in the most fun way possible.
- Through user-testing and data-driven processes, identify and implement opportunities to grow our platform.
- Structure, prioritise and support our team to deliver on projects within tight deadlines
- Balance our product growth with our values of promoting critical thinking, computer science and equality
- Bring a strategic mind and creative eye to drive the creation of our children’s products spanning the digital and physical world.
- You will balance our user needs and business objectives with our drive for positive impact.
- You’re experienced and you are a self-starter. You’ve got initiative, are solution focused and you take full ownership of your work. You enjoy the challenge and responsibility of startup life.
- You are passionate about technology, media and children’s edutainment
- You love analysing and solving complex problems. You are excited by streamlining workflows, and experimenting with new skills, tools and lean startup processes
- You are committed to quality, consistency and working in a fast-paced environment
- You are driven to progress individual, team, product and business performance
- If you’ve worked on kids’ products before, or if you were a kid once, that’s a huge bonus
- Impact – an awesome role helping to define the strategic direction of Bright Little Labs at an early stage in our growth plans
- Exposure – we’re a high-ish profile project and we work with exciting people and partners
- Flexibility – this is a short term contract, and you can help to advise on timetable for implementation. Remote working is also fine by us
- Feel good factor – you’ll be working on a project at the heart of equality, education and technology
- Fun – we’re building a top-secret spy agency. If we told you more more, we’d have to kill you
This is a 6-month contract role, with the opportunity to extend. Remuneration is dependent on experience. Starting ASAP in our cosy office in Old Street.
PS. We’re always looking for creative people who share our values and love of fart jokes. Are you/your mum a: Producer, Character Designer, Storyboard Artist, Animator? Or are you something else cool like a toy inventor? Some skills don’t fit neatly into roles, but – if you’d like to join us interactive fun things, please apply for our Head of TBC position and let us know what you can contribute.