Memrise is an award-winning language learning system which combines cognitive science, entertaining content and advanced tech to empower our millions of users with linguistic confidence in just a few months of learning.
We were awarded “Best App of 2017” at Google I/O and featured prominently last year at Apple’s WWDC. We work closely with both Google and Apple and are one of the top go-to developer partners when they launch new features on iOS and Android.
Over 40 million users have signed up and we’re growing fast. That’s where you come in. We have ambitious goals and we need people like you to help us achieve them. Due to an internal move, we’re now looking for a Product Analyst to help test new ideas and optimise existing features.
You’ll be part of the Data Team, a group of Analysts and Data Scientists that work closely with the rest of Memrise to improve the experience for our customers. We’re a highly quant and technically savvy team. Our stack is Redshift, Looker, Segment, Python and Jupyter Notebooks (among other things), we’re also trying out BigQuery. Experience with these specific tools is not a requirement: we’re looking for smart people that are effective with any technology.
Your mission is to give the product and leadership teams deep understanding of how to improve the app for our users. The product team needs support testing new ideas and optimising existing features. You will dive into the drivers of our KPIs for the leadership team, generating ideas, reports and analyses that will drive decisions. Your work will impact millions of people and help them learn a new language.
- Work closely with Product Managers, Marketing and Development to measure and improve learning in meaningful ways for our users
- Analyse and visualise our data, and share insights in a clear and compelling way to drive informed product decisions
- Make sure your stakeholders have great access to data – building reporting, making Looker easy for stakeholders to use and tracking the right things in the app
- Perform exploratory analysis, develop hypotheses and design experiments to optimise the product
- Troubleshooting any gaps, inconsistencies and discrepancies in data to make sure we work with accurate information
We’d love to hear from people with:
- Good understanding of app centric measurement (conversions/retention, funnels, user journeys)
- A strong track record of working with data in a fast-paced digital environment
- Expert SQL skills and experience using SQL with quantitative data (particularly in Redshift or BigQuery)
- Experience working with descriptive statistics and significance testing
- Experience working with visualisation tools. We use Looker and Google Data Studio, but experience in any of Tableau, Looker, Qlikview, Microstrategy is useful
- Strong business acumen and communication skills
Bonus points for:
- Some programming experience in Python, R or SaaS
- An interest in languages and learning
- Degree level statistics
- Share options, so you can retire on an island
- £975 Learning and Development budget for training, conferences, books and L&D leave
- Flexible working options (time-wise, plus we have standing desks)
- Private health insurance with Vitality, and related perks (50% off a Virgin and Nuffield Health Gym memberships)
- Breakfast (the most important meal of the day)
- Snacks (the most enjoyable meal of the day)
- A startup-suitable array of teas and coffees
- Bi-weekly team lunch with Feastly
- Language classes with in-office tutors
- Pet-friendly office and pet-petting colleagues
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- And plenty more fun you’re welcome to ignore, including: dodgeball, meditation, yoga, football, running club, board games, and boxing classes.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. If it’s okay, we’re not going to list examples of people and groups we don’t discriminate against. We don’t discriminate, full stop. We celebrate.
What’s it like to work here?
Interesting. Fun. Challenging. Serious. Odd. Silly. It just depends on the day, really. But whatever day it is, we love what we do: helping people all around the world learn more about languages, new cultures and each other. They use our app to broaden their minds and horizons. And that feels pretty good.
You’ll join our London team of open-minded, big-hearted, goal-oriented ‘Memrisers’, made up of linguists, developers, designers, marketers and more, all working together to do great things. Get in touch if you want to join the team.