At Reed Business information (RBI) we provide information, workflow software and online data services to business professionals worldwide. Our strong global brands hold market-leading positions across a wide range of industry sectors including banking, petrochemicals, agriculture and aviation where we help customers make key strategic decisions every day. RBI people are driven by an environment focussed on innovation, passion for our products, and collaboration, where working in an agile manner is par for the course. RBI is part of RELX, a leading global provider of data, information and solutions for professional customers.
RBI operates a two-role product management function of Commercial Product Managers and Technical Product Managers working in close partnership.
A Commercial Product Manager is required to lead the development and commercialisation primarily of workflow software product opportunities to one of our major markets.
The role will lead market evaluation, product scope and business plans beyond our current product definitions by understanding the jobs-to-be-done of our customers in order that we can support them with the functionality, content and data and they need in the format that is right to support their goals both today and tomorrow.
The Commercial Product Manager is responsible for the full lifecycle of product opportunities – mapping markets, identifying meaningful audience segments, discovering unmet needs, sizing commercial opportunities and working within a multi-functional team to shape, position and launch software, media and data products.
This is a market- and customer-facing role which will see you build an encyclopaedic knowledge of the needs of your markets – the opportunities and challenges, the dynamics between customers and suppliers and the landscape of competitors.
The role reports to the head of product and will collaborate closely with teams in research, marketing, product development / technology and sales.
Regular travel within the UK will be a feature of the role.
· Market – Understand the existing and potential customer base and their needs, review competitive threats and assess product opportunities. Define customer segments.
· Business – Analyse the commercial viability of current and future products to deliver profitable solutions to recognised market needs.
· Strategy – Shape business models, resourcing and processes to deliver offerings that are valuable, unique and defensible. Creating and maintain product roadmaps to grow value to customers and meet the group’s growth strategy.
· Planning – Specify the requirements for product success with the use of client/user personas and workflows. Position the product in the market around the attributes that are valuable to our customers. Collaborate with Technical Product Manager roles to define user experience and features as buildable software.
· Readiness – Create go-to-market programs to ensure the organization’s ability to sell and support the company’s products including pricing strategy, co-ordination of marketing and sales activities and usage data analysis.
· Support – Support the sales teams with market and product expertise.
· Succession – Coordinating the appropriate decommission and replacement product strategy if/when required
Skills / Experience Required:
Product management experience including having worked directly with a B2B market to form, validate and deliver successful product strategy.
Strong communication skills and ability to work across the business with impact and influence.
Commercial acumen including understanding the financial impact of customer challenges and the resulting value of a solution and effect on price models and recommendations.
An understanding of software development methods, Agile, Waterfall etc…, and working closely with development teams.
Knowledge of market evaluation techniques and product management methods, formal product management training is desirable but not essential.
Technical knowledge is not essential or the focus of this role.
RBI are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
RBI General Benefits Package:
– Pension Scheme
– 29 Days Holiday
– Paid Charity Days – 2 days per year
– Life Insurance (4x salary)
– Save As You Earn Share Scheme (SAYE)
– Competitive Salaries