This position has a great deal of influence by building and fostering trust among team members, customers and management. This position oversees product planning for individual products or features and shepherds short-term development efforts by working closely with a cross-functional Scrum development team. Product area of of focus is supporting non-profit fundraising, membership development, and engagement in our enterprise-level CRM.
What you’ll be doing and ideally be good at:
- You will work closely and collaboratively with Product Directors to update and groom the product backlog. This work involves ensuring Scrum issues are correctly prioritized, organized, and are accurate to ensure team efficiency.
- You will identify and negotiate minimum viable product solutions that will provide the highest value to current and prospective customers.
- You will support team members in whatever task or role necessary to help deliver team commitments, solve problems or resolve impediments to keep the project on track. This work may include testing, creating wireframes, serving as a Product Owner for certain features and training other team members.
- You will be a positive voice and evangelist for our company products, services and tools.
- You should be comfortable translating domain knowledge, client goals and customer needs into effective user stories.
- You excel at clearly defining the who, what, why (value statement to our user) and requirements that have clear, testable acceptance criteria.
- You are able to recognize and manage problems when they arise, solve them quickly and efficiently. You understand the need to compromise and understand tradeoffs to keep progress moving.
- You’re a master prioritizer, who can organize and understand a wide variety of projects and demands efficiently and communicate chosen priorities to a team.
- You look forward to developing a strong relationship and trust with each team member across cross-departmental teams (including UX, Engineering, DBA). You want to understand what motivates them, how they think things are going, what concerns they have, and how much time it will take to build feature x.
Actual Minimum Requirements
- Understand and support overall company/product visions, as well as minute details; able to balance business objectives and customer objectives
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Must be able to travel at least 2 to 3 times a year; mostly in North American and/or to international client locations such as Great Britain, Bermuda, etc.
- Certified Scrum Product Owner or ScrumMaster
- Experience working with a Scrum team or agile development shop
- Previous experience working on political campaigns or nonprofits
- Experience with enterprise-level CRMs and engagement channels
NGP VAN is the world’s leading political technology firm, providing campaign and organizing technology to Democrats, progressives, and non-partisan organizations. We offer an integrated platform that combines the best fundraising, compliance, organizing, and new media products available.
We built the voter contact and volunteer management tools used by Obama for America. Nearly every State Democratic Party in the country distributes our VoteBuilder tools to Democrats up and down the ticket, and we provide industry-leading organizing tools for labor unions, environmental groups, pro-choice advocates, civil rights activists, and international political parties across the world. Our fundraising and compliance software is used by the vast majority of Democratic candidates from the Presidential level on down, and our fast-growing new media platform has recently become the most-used platform by Democratic campaigns as well.
NGP VAN is an equal opportunity employer. We ensure that discrimination does not occur against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, disability, or any other classification that offends our liberal sensibilities.