Position: Product Manager, Baseball Systems
Reports To: Director of Baseball Analytics
Department: Baseball Operations
Position Type: Full-Time
The San Francisco Giants are seeking a Product Manager, Baseball Systems to join the Baseball Operations department. This individual will be part of the Baseball Operations R&D team and interface closely with all members of the Baseball Operations and Software Engineering teams. This position will be responsible for managing the development of internal baseball systems by driving business requirements, managing timelines, and overseeing the delivery of data and applications. The ideal candidate will possess product management experience, understanding of modern UI/UX design principles, a technical background with past software engineering experience, and the ability to communicate effectively with baseball staffers.
- Manage the delivery of internal baseball applications and systems.
- Work with baseball stakeholders – front office, field staff – to gather detailed requirements and design prototypes of development work.
- Coordinate and organize all changes and enhancements to our internal information systems.
- Engage closely with internal and external engineering teams by managing timelines to efficiently deliver products.
- Maintain information systems project list by working with baseball operations leadership group to prioritize, provide clear realistic timelines, and transparently allocate resources to complete each project.
- Collaborate with baseball operations team to define larger picture vision for baseball systems – look and feel, UI/UX across devices, mobile product, and integration of vendor resources for end users.
- Improve end user experience by soliciting feedback and generating new ideas.
- Maintain understanding of new public baseball research and emerging statistical tools, as well as all potential vendor data/technology options
- Stay abreast of ongoing technical and baseball research
Knowledge and Skills:
- BA or BS in technical or related field
- 2+ years of product management experience
- Past experience as a software engineer or in a role directly interfacing with engineers
- Ability to translate baseball needs into product requirements
Experience with UI / UX design is a big plus
- Ability to multi-task and manage deadlines across cross-functional teams
- Effective communicator to Baseball Operations staff, including non-technical audiences
- Passion for baseball, intellectual curiosity, and understanding of sabermetric concepts
- Past experience working for a sports team is a plus