Senior product researchers are trusted advisors at Intercom and champion the use of research to inform and drive product direction. They collaborate with PM, Design, Analysts, and Engineers to define problems and use research studies to understand and solve them. At Intercom, you’ll own and drive research projects from start to finish.
Here are 3 reasons why you’ll love this role and grow faster in your career at Intercom:
- Intercom’s SVP of Product is a former researcher! So unlike other teams, we never have to fight for a seat at the table.
- This isn’t a user-testing treadmill—our research is strategic and formative because our leadership support is so strong.
- Researchers are equal peers of PMs and Design, so we pay them all the same by level and experience.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What’s the opportunity? 🤔
Senior Product Researchers are trusted advisors at Intercom and champion the use of research to inform and drive product direction. Senior Product Researchers collaborate with Product Managers, Designers, Analysts and Engineers to define research problems and then execute research studies to solve them. It’s their job to own and drive research projects from start to finish.
Senior Product Researchers also provide mentoring and support to other team members and help evolve the research capability to meet Intercom’s changing needs.
Intercom uses formative research to identify what problems our customers have and design research to ensure products are intuitive and easy to use. Research is involved at every stage of the product development process; from understanding problems, the evaluation of concepts to monitoring of products post-launch.
Research plays a key part in the product development process by helping the team to understand the opportunities, contexts, audience and experiences. Working at pace is key and we experiment with processes, methodologies and ways of working to provide product teams with critical insights as quickly as possible.
What skills do I need? 📖
We want big thinkers with small egos.
Ideal candidates have the following:
- 4 years + working as a user experience researcher on digital products.
- Expertise in conducting end-to-end user research studies; planning, recruitment, execution, analysis and delivery.
- An expert’s understanding of rigour and methodological validity in research and how to get the most out of a project with tight constraints.
- An ability to develop strong partnerships with PMs and Designers – to positively challenge assumptions, unpick ambiguous contexts and define problems to solve.
- Expertise in a wide variety of research methodologies and an ability to apply them on problems of different size and scope; formative and summative; qualitative and quantitative; tactical and strategic.
- An understanding of the Jobs to Be Done framework is preferred.
- Can communicate research findings in creative and impactful ways.
- Your work has had real impact and shaped the user experience of digital products and websites. You have worked on both desktop and mobile products.
- A strong understanding of the psychological basis of user research.
- Ideally an MSc in Human-Computer Interaction or related degree or experience.
- Happy to be accountable for defining, managing and running research projects end to end.
- Grow the value of research through thought leadership and relationship building.
- Excellent collaboration skills and enjoy working as part of a cross-functional team delivering a solution.
- A passion for building amazing products, not just conducting research.
- A strong sense of independence, ownership and initiative.
- Looks for opportunities to learn and develop themselves and others.
- Capable of working in a lean and informal way to get deliver insights quickly.
- Fascinated by people, their behaviors and motivations.
- Interested in technology and its impact on society and individuals.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! 🙂
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch and dinner every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews – we reward great work
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to £90 quarterly
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We’re committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.