About the Company
BFBS is a not-for-profit corporation and registered charity with a 70-year heritage, providing Radio and TV to Britain’s Armed Forces and their families around the world. Broadcasting under the BFBS and Forces brands, its mission is to “serve those who serve”, by providing a vital welfare service which maintains efficiency and morale in all three Services.
Operating under a long-term contract with the Ministry of Defence (MoD), BFBS’s worldwide network of 30 radio stations and 16 TV channels has studio centres in eight countries and a global transmission network covering 16 time zones. It is responsible for the entire end-to-end broadcast system, from programme acquisition and original production, to end-user delivery to barracks, homes and Navy vessels at sea.
BFBS also operates a number of related armed forces welfare businesses including digital cinemas, a UK national TV station, UK national radio station, library and production services.
About The Department
The Technology Division has around 50 broadcast and IT engineers who are responsible for the design and operation of all of BFBS’s technical operations, facilities and capital projects.
BFBS’s technology challenges are at the cutting edge of broadcast and IP technology, demanding a visionary approach, with practical experience and proven management ability.
About The Role
The Digital Product team are responsible for leading the digital product design and development strategy within BFBS. This role is a rare opportunity within the media and broadcast industry to work on innovative solutions which make a real difference to lives of people who serve their country, and to help share their stories with the wider public.
The Product Manager will report to the Head of Digital Product and will be expected to take responsibility for managing and delivering the roadmap of certain parts of the BFBS portfolio, while contributing to the conception and design of new ones.
Key Responsibilities & Prerequisites
• Own one or more product streams, projects or brands within the digital product portfolio and take responsibility for delivery of their roadmap.
• Work with stakeholders to elicit customer problems and business requirements and articulate the ‘why’ and the ‘who’. This might include running workshops or requirements gathering sessions and commissioning customer research.
• Work with ux, design and developers to design, test and deliver solutions.
• Provide support to internal teams on use of tools and systems behind the products.
• Document requirements, user cases, functionality, processes.
• Oversee user acceptance testing of delivered user stories/features.
• The role may include researching potential solutions, editorial tools, new software, suppliers etc.
• Keep abreast of best practice in product development and agile practices.
• Utilise multiple project management methodologies such as waterfall or Agile dependent upon the individual needs of the project.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
• Some experience in a product or related role with responsibility for supporting or managing web products in digital publishing, video/audio streaming or apps
• Experience of Agile and Iterative Development approaches
• Use of collaboration tools such as Jira, Trello, Slack
• Some experience in digital publishing/media industry or military
• Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills
• Project management experience – small-medium sized projects
• Appreciation of good UI/UX design and its impact on product success
• Experience of managing stakeholders and working with remote teams and external suppliers
• Use of data, metrics and tools such as Google Analytics to inform design and development