Salary: £60K to £70K (plus up to £5K allowance) depending on experience
Contract type: Permanent appointment
Hours: 37 hours/week (42 hours incl. lunch)
Working pattern: flexible working, full time, part time
Interviews: Video interviews held weekly, apply asap
This is an exciting time to work in the Department for International Trade, a department at the heart of the UK’s relationship with the global economy.
Our role is to promote and enable UK trade globally by supporting businesses to take advantage of the appetite for British goods and services around the world, attracting foreign companies and investment to our shores, and helping international companies collaborate with UK suppliers.
Over the next 3 years, DIT aims to deliver a step change in UK trade and investment. Digital services, data and technology are central to the department’s ability to meet its objectives.
About the Digital, Data and Technology (DDaT) team
We are a team of about 200 people across a whole range of DDaT specialisms, working in agile, multi-disciplinary teams.
We build and operate innovative tools and services such as great.gov.uk that provide world leading support to businesses in the UK and overseas. Our public-facing services are visited millions of times each year and the tools we develop for our staff, across the globe, are an essential part of their daily working lives.
We believe in creativity, curiosity, diversity of thought, entrepreneurship, delivery focus and collaboration. We embody the DIT values to be expert, enterprising, engaged and inclusive. These values have helped us become a high performing team that continuously delivers high quality outputs.
Find out what Service Owners at DIT do
We’re looking for a Service Owner to help transform DIT’s staff experience, working across the Digital, Data and Technology team to ensure our people have a seamless, rich and usable suite of products and services that allow them to be productive and happy in the workplace.
As a Service Owner, you’ll be a critical point of connection between DDaT, the wider Department and a network of other important stakeholders across HMG more widely (often Deputy Directors and Directors) to shape a vision for the DDaT services within your area of responsibility, communicating that vision in simple and inspiring terms.
You’ll work with stakeholders to develop end-to-end services (that will include multiple products and channels) that meet user needs and further DIT’s strategic objectives. Working as part of the Strategy & Design Team, you will be responsible for ensuring the team delivers against the DDaT Strategy. You will also take a leading role in making sure that our strategy continues to be both developed and promoted, working to make sure it is aligned with the Department’s strategic objectives.
- help find and highlight opportunities and challenges in your area, empowering DDaT product teams to devise and deliver effective and creative solutions. Along with others in the Strategy & Design team, you’ll think about the future, help the Department gain a taste for it, and shape the long-term strategic direction of digital, data and technology in DIT.
- make sure that products in your area of responsibility are aligned to the DDaT and DIT strategies, and that they are developed with one another in mind, making use of shared learning, designs and components.
- work with other Service Owners to ensure coherence across the DDaT portfolio, and to identify and manage dependencies.
work with teams in DDAT and across the business to ensure we deliver end-to-end services, actively working to further the Department’s aim to become data driven and intelligence led. This will involve helping set the missions of product teams (being mindful of allocated budget envelopes), helping to provide high-level prioritisation and focus.
- work to ensure the teams feel a strong sense of ownership over their own mission and goals, and also have support from the DDaT’s senior management team and other senior stakeholders about how they go about achieving them.
Skills and experience
- Developing a long-term vision and objectives in a DDaT context, focusing on what is most important, relevant and impactful.
- Leading the successful design, delivery and operation of high quality products and services which maximise opportunities offered by digital technology.
- Motivating self-organising agile teams, coaches, leads and delegates decision making to the most effective level, and empowering teams to deliver to the best of their abilities with the right approaches.
- Translating complex aims and needs into compelling vision statements with clear and manageable plans, working with stakeholders to agree these, and communicating and promoting them in an open and transparent way through a variety of channels.
- Managing the expectations of stakeholders with conflicting needs and demands, engaging with senior stakeholders, and developing a pipeline of customer adoption.
- Assessing and managing risks, scoping resource requirements and managing budgets to ensure value for money.
- Managing development teams in a sustainable and scalable way
- Anticipating problems and building problem-solving capabilities in others.
- High quality written skills, with a view to producing ministerial/official submissions, meeting papers, commissions, business cases, etc.
At the interview we will be assessing your technical/specialist skills and experience, testing your ability through relevant assessments and asking you questions around the behaviours we require to be successful in this role.
The behaviours we assess are:
Communicating and influencing
Developing self and others
Making effective decisions
Delivering at pace
Seeing the big picture
Changing and improving
Managing a quality service
Throughout the process we will assess your technical / specialist skills and experience as well as behaviours, outlined above..
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.