PBS is preparing to launch a set of new 24/7 children’s services. The free services include a new TV channel and live stream on digital platforms (including pbskids.org and the PBS KIDS Video App), allowing children to watch their favorite series during primetime and other after-school hours. The live stream experience will also offer integrated games features, enabling children to toggle between a PBS KIDS show and an activity that extends learning.
The Product Manager works with the PBS KIDS Digital team to manage the development of products and services for the new PBS KIDS 24/7 channel, including new innovative experiences that relate game content to live TV and social experiences to enhance learning and engagement. This person is the glue for a cross functional team that plans, develops and maintains user facing applications, API’s, CMS’s, databases and other services that will deliver new educational experiences across PBS KIDS Digital distribution products.
This is an exciting opportunity to be involved in the inception, launch, and maintenance of a major PBS initiative.
- Gathering and prioritizing requirements and working closely with stakeholders, designers, content experts, product managers and other teams and to define vision and ensure goals are met.
- Develop and maintain roadmaps for experiences that relate educational content across multiple product lines. Effectively communicate roadmaps across PBS. Work with multiple product managers to ensure product roadmaps align with schedules and requirements across all related products.
- Manage the development of a new set of digital social experiences for kids and the related services that power it across product lines, including PBS KIDS apps and pbskids.org. Manage the development of new cross-product content feature sets.
- Manage lifecycle for other audience-facing products and the services and applications that drive them.
- Manage internal and external project teams to ensure delivery of high-quality products.
- Coordinate with PBS staff, PBS member stations, and others to develop tools for local station communities.
- Ensure projects undergo a rigorous quality assurance process.
- Represent PBS KIDS Digital team to internal and external audiences at meetings, with corporate partners, and other constituencies within the PBS system.
- Plan and manage usability testing of audience-facing products.
- Serve as integral member of PBS KIDS team, participating in group projects and discussions, staying up-to-date on research and related trends, and contributing to overall vision and strategy.
- Work with external vendors to assess partnerships when appropriate.
- Be an expert with respect to PBS KIDS’ competitor’s products.
- Manage budgets and outside contractors as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Four or more years’ experience in digital product management, software development or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must have general knowledge of and strong interest in young children and/or early childhood education; experience with early elementary education a plus
- Must have experience developing interactive learning projects for children
- Must be resourceful, self-directed, and a creative problem-solver who can meet aggressive deadlines
- Should have experience managing cross-functional teams, tactfully critiquing digital productions, managing budgets, and leading educational initiatives
- Previous experience developing digital educational resources for children ages 2-12 preferred
MINIMUM EDUCATION/TRAINING REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Educational Technology or related field, or equivalent work experience. Master’s degree a plus.
- Knowledge of product management methodologies such as Agile
- Good understanding of databases, content management systems and community management and web analytics tools
- Knowledge with API development and API specifications
- Knowledge of streaming video technologies
- Knowledge of mobile and web game technologies, native and hybrid native mobile apps (HTML5, Cordova, Crosswalk), iOS and Android
- Knowledge of continuous integration and continuous development
- Excellent communication skills
- Familiarity with childhood development
- Strong management skills; ability to work with content managers, technologists and designers both inside and outside of the company
- Superior organizational skills and orientation to details
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills
- Must be a strategic thinker who can meet aggressive deadlines
- Ability to plan, problem solve, and prioritize several assignments at the same time
- Strong listening and presentation skills, including the ability to manage production critiques
- High degree of initiative and ability to take charge and lead without day-to-day supervision
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities
To apply for this position please click the link below