We are looking for an exceptional Senior Product Manager to join JSTOR’s Product team. You will lead a cross-functional agile team to deliver the next evolution of ITHAKA’s JSTOR products. You serve as product manager and team leader, collaborating with stakeholders throughout the organization. Your team will be responsible for the cataloging and publishing of exciting new collections to the JSTOR platform.
To succeed in this role, you are a servant-leader with a systems-thinking, data-first mindset who is passionate about delighting users and solving their problems. You are proactive, strategy-minded, can define success metrics for a product and conduct experiments to meet them. You are responsible for optimizing the product’s user experience, scalability, reliability, quality, security, maintainability, cost, and value to the customer while inspiring a culture of innovation among your team members.
You think in terms of the best interest for the entire JSTOR product not just your area of responsibility. As such, you work in close collaboration with other Product Managers and team leads to realize the JSTOR unified product vision and strategy, gain alignment, and remove barriers to progress where necessary.
- Develop a deep understanding of the JSTOR product landscape, and its business and user needs. Ensure that your team understands the context for the problems they solve and can apply that understanding to improve product/market fit.
- Define product strategies in alignment with the unified product strategy, as well as metrics and tactics to achieve them, tracking them in measurable Objectives and Key Results (OKRs).
- Develop metrics-driven hypotheses to drive product success and collaborate with the team to deliver frequent, iterative, scalable improvements to products and services that meet user needs. Regularly measure and validate results and business impacts and communicate them throughout the organization. Maintain OKR alignment for business and technical teams as strategies evolve.
- Engage with your users regularly to generate new insights and hypotheses for your product, working closely with designers to create tangible prototypes for research and concept validation.
- Actively manage new product discovery experiments to drive the product backlog. Ensure proper prioritization, work alignment, and dependency management.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on market trends, competitive analysis, and the core value proposition of JSTOR products and services.
- Be an active team leader and contributor — making day-to-day product decisions, supporting self-organization, proactively addressing gaps and obstacles, and demonstrating servant-leadership principles as you coach and support team members.
Experience and Skills
- 7+ years product management experience, practicing modern discovery techniques with a track record of shipping design/UI focused products and enabling technology solutions at scale.
- Excellent data analysis skills, including the ability to formulate clear hypotheses, define appropriate metrics, and analyze qualitative and quantitative data.
- Strong understanding of the quarterly OKR process and agile product development.
- Able to inspire and engage at all levels of the organization from detail-oriented sprint meetings, to executive problem-solving discussions.
- Superior communication skills with proven ability to navigate a complex organization and generate buy-in for ideas and plans with stakeholders who have varying degrees of technical and design knowledge.
- Ability to lead through influence and partner closely with designers, engineers, and user researchers.