An exciting new product management opportunity has arisen on The BMJ, one of the world’s most iconic publishing brands. The BMJ is seeking a knowledgeable and enthusiastic Digital Product Manager to lead the development of The BMJ’s digital offerings across multiple platforms and to make The BMJ Digital as innovative, exciting and profitable as it can be.
Key responsibilities include:
- Working with the Executive Editor (delivery), the journal team responsible for content, and colleagues in Technology to articulate and implement a digital strategy and roadmap that encompasses platform(s), formats, commercial strategy, audience communications, and integration with print editions, for an international set of continually updated digital outputs – on web, mobile, app and other platforms
- Ensuring The BMJ digital offering is continuously evolved to generate value for its customers, readers and BMJ within the ever changing digital landscape, understanding and articulating what this value is and setting KPIs to measure progress against them.
- Using the example of ‘best in class’ from both journal and magazine perspectives to drive The BMJ to a flagship digital position within the company and within medical journal and weekly magazine publishing.
- Ensuring optimal presentation and delivery of multimedia and new content types and formats, and that content is optimised for sharing on social media and aggregators, as well as for machine-readability. Optimising delivery for different geographic regions
- Understanding the changing digital landscape and the key trends and actions required to meet these changes in their areas.
- Understanding and applying data analytic tools; undertaking business intelligence analysis from digital data sources.
- Identifying opportunities for digital innovation both in internal systems and processes and external opportunities and working with others to deliver this.
- Developing, defining and leading the implementation of a continual program of digital improvement projects, including platform(s) and design, indexing, taxonomies and organisation of content, search engine optimisation, usage analytics, user experience and journey, search, e-mailed tables of contents and functionalities not yet thought of.
- Overseeing and improving on systems for producing, monitoring and QA’ing the digital offerings, including producing regular reports on key performance indicator
Skills & experience:
- Proven experience in successful Digital Product delivery
- Demonstrates knowledge of key digital trends that are impacting the development of digital products, and can articulate a vision to meet them
- A good working knowledge of HTML, XML, CSS, JATS, content management and delivery tools for mobile, apps and web
- Must define the value proposition of the Digital products this role is responsible for and set the KPIs as they are also responsible for delivering against them .Working with the Digital Strategy and Marketing strategy teams to ensure alignment across the business.
- Understanding of web site design, accessibility and usability and how to optimise it
- Has a proven ability to manage change projects – people, process and cultural aspects
- Experience of working with software development teams both in house and out/ off shore is able to articulate their business requirements to these teams and manage the delivery of the work within an agile development framework
- Experience of managing vendor relationships would be an advantage
- Stakeholder management is a key part of this role, so the postholder needs a demonstrated ability to reach consensus from diverse stakeholders
- Proven excellent Influencing and negotiation skills; a consultative, collegial and collaborative approach
Since starting out as the publisher of a single medical journal in 1840, BMJ has developed a unique range of capabilities to meet today’s global healthcare challenges.
Today, our expertise extends from publishing to medical education, clinical decision support and quality improvement to enhance day to day decision-making and healthcare delivery.
BMJ takes pride in its people and is committed to being an equal opportunities employer. We value individuality and therefore welcome all qualified applications from a diverse range of candidates.