Location: Remote position requiring travel to OCCRP’s HQ in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. Applicants must work within timezones UTC +0 to UTC +4.
Date of Issuance: Tuesday September 8th, 2020
Deadline: Sunday, October 4th, 2020
The Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project is one of the world’s largest and most innovative investigative reporting organizations. Headquartered in Sarajevo, and with a staff of over 140 employees around the world, our network of independent media centers in over two dozen countries produces ground-breaking cross-border investigative stories.
In just the last few years, we’ve published the Troika, Azerbaijani, and Russian Laundromats, the Panama Papers and many other large, collaborative, investigative projects.
We want to reinvent investigative reporting — and we need you. OCCRP is looking for an experienced Head of Design to help us strengthen our approach to design across the board. We want readers of our investigations and users of our services to receive the best experience possible.
This is a leadership position in our publishing department. As the Head of Design you are responsible for developing and managing all aspects of OCCRP’s design. This includes our products and services, graphic design, user experience design, advertising, marketing and branding. You will be responsible for producing graphics and visual components for our journalism and ensuring our software products and web assets share the same visual identity.
This is a demanding position. It requires working at multiple levels: rolling up your sleeves and creating designs yourself, managing a network of freelance designers, and supporting colleagues to bring their ideas to fruition. In parallel you will work to establish a shared vision for the OCCRP aesthetic and brand, and develop a plan to get us there.
You should have:
• 5-10 years of experience in industry or with an agency
• Experience designing for the web and for print media
• A cool head and ability to build and manage a cohesive team to deliver to tight deadlines under pressure
• Exceptional collaboration, able to work across teams and cultures
• Proven leadership experience, able to empower others to fail, learn, and grow
• Ability to synthesize abstract ideas into concrete design implications
• A strong sense of design, color theory, typography and composition
• A holistic design approach which takes into account all the products in the organization
• A keen interest in news and current affairs
• Proficiency in design related tools such as Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Sketch, Adobe XD or similar
• Basic familiarity of HTML and CSS.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
To apply, please send your resume, links to your previous work and a cover letter explaining why you want this job and why you are a good fit for the role to jobs(at)occrp.org by October 4th, 2020. We will not consider applications that do not have a comprehensive cover letter. We regret that we are not able to reply to unsuccessful candidates.
OCCRP is committed to creating a diverse environment. We strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.