Position: Product Manager
Contract: Contract (3-4 months)
Salary: Up to £60,000 per annum (pro rata)
Start date: ASAP
We are looking for a digital product manager with experience in scholarly publishing to explore opportunities to develop BMJ’s open research publishing model, defining the strategic direction based on evidence generated from market intelligence, user and customer feedback.
- Defining the infrastructure and workflows for open researchers that is attractive to authors, readers and funders
- Meeting funder and researcher needs for:
greater openness throughout the research pathway
more credit to be given for interim and non-traditional research outputs
- Wholly open workflows, alongside open access research publication
- Ensuring BMJ’s open research offering is continuously evolved to generate value for its customers, readers and BMJ within the changing research landscape, understanding and articulating what this value is and setting KPIs to measure progress against them.
- Explore options for switching from a ‘pay-to-read’ subscription-based business model to new, more transparent, payment models for open research
- Identifying which open research opportunities BMJ should pursue
Approach to work:
- Understanding the changing Open Access and open research landscapes, and the key trends and actions required to meet these changes in their areas
- Using data to solve problems
- Undertaking user research to inform product strategy and development
- Undertaking business intelligence analysis from a variety of data sources.
- Identifying opportunities for innovation both in external opportunities, and internal systems and processes
- Proven experience in digital product scoping, development, and iteration
- Has a proven ability to deliver products which provide business and user value
- Experience in applying modern product management tools, frameworks and practices to inform strategy and roadmapping
- Experience in engaging with a range of stakeholders, from executive level to external users
- Experience of working with software development teams both in house and out/ offshore; is able to articulate their business requirements to these teams and manage the delivery of the work within an agile development framework
- Demonstrates knowledge of key digital and open research trends that are impacting the development of digital products to support the research community, and can articulate a vision to meet them
- Degree educated
- Experience of working in a product management role is preferable (but not mandatory)
Why should you apply?
BMJ is a global healthcare knowledge provider with a vision for a healthier world. We share knowledge and expertise to improve healthcare outcomes.
You may know us as the publisher of one of the world’s most cited general medical journals, The BMJ. We also publish over 70 specialty journals, many of which are the most influential titles in their field.
We also offer digital professional development courses and clinical decision support tools to help medical institutions and clinicians tackle today’s most critical healthcare challenges.
Evidence underpins everything we do – it’s what makes us one of the world’s most trusted knowledge providers. And the figures speak for themselves. More than 50 million users from over 150 countries access our websites every year.
BMJ is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the British Medical Association (BMA), with nearly 500 employees worldwide. Our head office is located within the Grade II listed BMA House in Euston, London, with more offices in China, India, North America, and Wales.
As a values-driven company, we have pride in our people and take equal opportunities very seriously. We welcome individuality and all qualified applications from a diverse range of candidates.
Those who come to work with us are assured of a rewarding career in an increasingly global company. In return, we offer a great place to work with a wide range of benefits, including:
- Twenty-five days holiday entitlement plus bank holidays, a BMA Day the opportunity to gain more holiday entitlement through long service employment
- Additional days’ leave for moving house, volunteering or getting married
- Onsite gym, fitness classes and subsidised canteen and cafeteria
- Double matching employer pension contribution, up to 12%
Multiple discounts [from major stores] through MyReward employee benefits platform.
- Season ticket loan, gym membership and cycle to work scheme
- Seven x salary life assurance cover
- Regular social events, diversity and inclusion groups, and charity fundraising initiatives to get involved in