At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our compute, cloud, mobility, networking and security offerings form a digital foundation that powers the apps, services and experiences that are transforming the world.
Since our founding over two decades ago, our 33,000+ employee community and ecosystem of 75,000 partners have been behind the technology innovations transforming entire industries – from banking, healthcare, and government to retail, telecommunications, manufacturing, and transportation.
Every day, we work to solve our customers’ toughest challenges through disruptive technologies like edge computing, artificial intelligence, blockchain, machine learning, Kubernetes and more – to define the digital foundation that will accelerate the next wave of innovation.
Ready to build? So are we. Come join VMware’s exciting Modern Applications Business Unit (MAPBU) Team, made up of products and services under the Tanzu portfolio to help customers build, run and manage their most important applications. We build applications with velocity to run in a cloud-native environment, run open-source Kubernetes with consistency, and manage our customers’ entire footprint with confidence to help them achieve their business outcomes.
You have strong product instincts, and an appreciation for and understanding of lean startup, agile and user-centered design values, principles, and practices. You are excited by the mission and organizational value that technology can unlock. You thrive in a complex ecosystem, collecting, sharing, and synthesizing input from many directions and enabling your team to continuously deliver customer value. You bring humility, empathy, and a learning mindset to everything you do. You believe in doing the right thing and doing what works.
We’re looking for a passionate Product Manager who knows how to help define, de-risk and execute against a product vision. This is a consulting role that demands being able to work collaboratively with clients and colleagues on cross-functional and co-located product teams. The role demands strong product instincts, excellent communication skills, technical fluency, and the ability to meet customers where they are with empathy and humility. Our Product Managers bring an appreciation for and understanding of lean startup, agile and user-centered design values, principles and practices to all of their customer interactions.
Who would love this role:
Someone who enjoys being a leader and an influencer. In this role, you will work with the project team, client execs and the whole spectrum of PMs (project, product, program and any similar roles that a client may have) – to progress the goal of shipping the right product to the client’s users.
Someone who brings a balanced, holistic and flexible mindset to product development. We share the overall success of the product with our clients. This means that we don’t just help our clients ship features, or define and validate product direction. We do what needs to be done to ensure that both the product and the engagement are successful.
Someone who is comfortable with ambiguity. We work in an iterative and incremental way, balancing many different inputs and constantly making trade- offs. This requires us to be comfortable moving forward with imperfect information.
Job responsibilities Include:
- Working with your client to define and drive product strategy, identifying key outcomes and success metrics
- Working with the team to discover customer problems and create valuable, desirable and feasible solutions
- Working with the delivery team and customer stakeholders to define and prioritize a backlog for your product that continuously delivers measurable value towards the vision
- Mentoring, coaching and collaborating with the client product team members to drive decisions
- Mentor and train client Product Managers on lean startup/agile XP/user-centered design methods
- Conduct interviews with stakeholders and end-users and synthesize insights into actionable next steps
- Confidently run a room as small as three members to as large as an executive conference room, while drawing out all the voices by facilitating the right activities to get the right information
- Helping leaders on the client side to innovate and iterate on lean/agile product management processes and build a healthy practice
- Bringing clarity where there is uncertainty and identifying and managing risk
- Teaching your client pair how to do all of these things for themselves
- This job requisition is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsored by VMware
- This position is a remote (home office + travel) role
50%+ travel is expected in this role (post COVID-19 crisis)
- Product Management experience for digital products
- Empathy for the end user
- Demonstrated bias towards action
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to break down complex problems into actionable steps
- Has shipped digital products
- Has worked in a lean startup product environment
- Consulting Experience
- Software development experience
- 8+ years Product Management or similar experience, shipping products to users (enterprise products preferred)
- Experience navigating large organizations and an understanding of complex stakeholder relationships
- Experience building successful product teams and shipping successful products, including defining vision, strategy, outcome-driven product roadmaps and creating and managing backlogs
- Able to break down complex problems into actionable steps with measurable outcomes
- Interest and ability to teach others
- Experience with Lean Product Management and User-Centered
- Design methodologies & agile software development
- Ability to facilitate collaborative decision-making in a workshop context
- For more information regarding the organization check out our social media site using #TeamTanzu
- This position is eligible for TanzuChallenge referral campaign
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, HIV status, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status including pregnancy, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.