Hi! We’re Planning Center. We’re a company of about 55 people and we build web services and mobile applications that help churches stay organized and serve their congregations effectively. It’s a fun space to work in and we love what we do. Most of us are developers and designers and support staff. Right now we have a rare opening for a product manager position.
Here are a few things we’re proud of:
- In our product space (software for churches) Planning Center is a household name. 96 of the 100 largest churches in the United States use our flagship product, Planning Center Services.
- We have zero sales people. We’ve found that when you do good work and treat customers right, they’ll tell others about you. Nearly our entire customer base has come from word-of-mouth.
- Our speed and quality of support for our products is in a class of its own. Ask any of our customers.
- We’re fully bootstrapped and profitable. There are no investors or equity firms to answer to. We only answer to our customers as we earn their subscription dollars every month.
- Our designers and developers are at the top of their game. We speak at conferences, commit to open source, and take active steps to sharpen our skills.
- We take work-life balance seriously. We don’t work late and take paid Fridays off in the summer. A few times a year, we take two “free weeks” where everyone works on whatever they want. By doing this, we avoid burn-out and maintain a ridiculously low turnover rate with employees.
Our space in North County San Diego:
About two-thirds of us work from our beautiful office here in Carlsbad, California. The rest of us are scattered around the US and we gather everyone in Carlsbad for a week about three times a year. Not to brag, but it’s a truly legit workspace! In Building One we have a comfy work environment with sit/stand desks, Aeron chairs, top of the line Macs, and everything you’d expect to see at a modern tech company. Building Two is the jaw-dropper. There are professional grade ping pong tables, game consoles, a full-sized espresso machine and coffee bar, a spacious and fully stocked kitchen, and a conference area. Twice a week we get lunch catered.
At Planning Center, product managers do a lot of different things.
- Speccing features and shepherding them to production
- Working on mockups with designers
- Working on technical solutions with developers
- Investigating bugs and testing fixes
- Writing documentation and blog posts
- Interacting with beta testers, customers, and support leads
- Improving team dynamics and encouraging the team
Each product manager is in charge of making sure their applications are shipping new features, improving existing ones, and growing. Since all of our titles are part of a suite, product managers work closely with each other as well as Jeff, our founder and CEO. There are four PMs currently – you’d be the fifth.
- You’re local to San Diego California or are willing to relocate.
- You’ve lead a team of developers and/or designers at a technology company.
- You’re familiar with common tools of the web-software trade and can articulate the basics of the web stack.
- You’ve had experience with designing interfaces and aren’t afraid to dive into software mockups.
- Health insurance
- Competitive pay
- Paid Fridays off in the summer months
- Catered lunches 2x a week