Goodreads is looking for a Principal-level or experienced Sr. Product Manager charged with establishing Goodreads as the premier book-marketing platform for publishers and authors. This leader will be primarily focused on driving the product strategy and execution behind the Goodreads suite of advertising products. This person will also manage a small team of product managers responsible for expanding additional offerings to advertisers and publishers.
This role will report directly to the Goodreads VP of Product and will be part individual contributor, part team lead. Initially, this product leader will be primarily responsible for our suite of advertising products deep into our suite advertising products. This person will work closely with our ads team and clients to increase revenue, improve the quality of the overall advertising experience, and further innovate in the rapidly changing publishing industry. This person will also manage a small team of product managers responsible for working with our authors and merchandising teams. While this is initially a very hands on role driving our advertising roadmap, as our author and publisher business grows, we expect this person’s responsibilities to become less hands on and more focused on managing and growing a team.
Goodreads is a product-centric company so we are seeking an experienced product lead with a passion for our mission of helping people find and share books they love. A successful candidate will exhibit a solid understanding of online social media, mobile and digital advertising. The candidate should also possess proven technical, consumer internet, and user-facing product management skills.
This role is based in San Francisco, and will require occasional travel (5%-10%).
To succeed in the role you:
- Have proven experience delivering results in a revenue-driven, consumer product role. You are are adept at understanding client needs, responding to tight deadlines, and delivering products that drive key business metrics
- Love building products that inspire, and possess a very strong, customer-focused product sense. You invent win-win products which deliver value to business customers while maintaining a high bar for overall customer experience
- Are deeply familiar with the latest trends in social media, are an active user of social products, and are familiar with trends in digital and mobile advertising
- Are highly-data driven and understand how to measure and optimize key online advertising KPIs
- Have been an internal product champion within a larger organization. You are well versed at working across multiple teams to ship products that drive business value and delight customers
- Have experience managing and mentoring product managers
- Have a deep appreciation for the power of books to change lives
- Drive the product vision and roadmap for our Goodreads advertising products to drive increased revenue.
- Work closely with internal Goodreads business leads and teams (engineering, design, sales, customer care), as well as cross-organizational Amazon partners to execute on product roadmap
- Insist on a very high standard. Write highly-detailed, well-researched product documents and specifications. Be very comfortable presenting these to senior executives
- Manage and communicate project schedules, goals, and dependencies, drive cross-functional initiatives, and regularly represent status to senior leadership
- Pair closely with our design team. You can articulate clear user goals and give meaningful feedback to drive towards customer-centric design
- Use or commission market research, usability studies, and focus groups
- Drive data driven decisions. Leverage data analysis to research difficult or ambiguous problems
- Directly manage and mentor experienced product managers
- Willingness to do whatever it takes to deliver products that delight!
- Minimum 10+ years relevant industry experience with 5+ years driving monetization for a consumer product
- Experience launching products and optimized to drive and scale key revenue metrics
- Experience in understanding of user interface design and best practices for optimizing KPIs
- BS/BA degree
- MBA preferred
- Prior product leadership role (Director or VP) for an online advertising product or social consumer product
- Background/experience in software engineering
- Has worked directly with advertisers and advertising sales team to build high-quality, relevant ad products that drive revenue
- Deep understanding of ad technology, for example ad serving platforms, remnant monetization exchanges, CRMs, and order processing systems
- Experience working with authors or in the book publishing industry
- Love books, and really believe in their ability to empower people and improve their lives
- Passion for product: conceiving, designing, building, and shipping it. You should be a maven of all things product
- Balance strong bias for action with deep experience driving product alignment across multiple stakeholders
- Highly quantitative. Enjoy analyzing user data
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered in a manner consistent with all applicable local, state and federal laws, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.