With Tumblr and WordPress.com, Automattic enables millions of people around the globe to publish and share their stories. The Tumblr dashboard, the WordPress.com Reader, our mobile apps, and email newsletters provide ways to access and discover our users’ content.
As a Senior Technical Product Manager in our Search and Recommendations team, you will:
- Collaboratively define our strategy and roadmap to connect people with the content that is most relevant to them. Be mindful about presenting quality content and impacting our users in ways we will be proud of.
- Work with a cross-functional team of senior engineers and data scientists to prioritize the most impactful work and launch customer-facing features.
- Think holistically and go deep. Participate in all stages of the product development cycle from ideation through implementation and iteration.
- Build a deep understanding of our users’ needs and communicate them to the team.
- Define, monitor, and analyze key performance metrics for the content experience at WordPress.com, and use this data to inform the future direction.
- Work with the team lead for Search and Recommendations on improving product development practices and processes, mentor and support the team in focussing on customer value.
We are looking for:
- Experience in creating engaging, personalized, algorithmic feeds and content experiences, ideally ones that leveraged machine learning to present user-generated content.
- The ability to collect, analyze and communicate data to the team and the company as a whole, to integrate feedback, validate ideas, and iterate on our products while being mindful of our customers, contributors, and insights gleaned by our support teams.
- The ability to connect business strategies, customer needs and available technologies to deliver best-in-class products. A good understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of machine learning approaches will be helpful.
- Experience in owning a portfolio of products, building a long-term strategy, and working with colleagues at all levels to make it happen. People leadership experience is a plus.
- A solid understanding of engineering workflows and enough technical depth to successfully work with engineers and data scientists.
- Attention to creating a safe and inspiring reading experience for our users, regardless of their income, gender, race, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of other languages and international markets is a plus.
- Excitement to join a globally distributed team. Familiarity with remote work is welcome.
- Experience in working with search engines and search applications is a plus.
- Experience working with mobile is a plus.
More about the team
We are a cross-functional, internationally distributed team of developers, data scientists, and search engineers working on search applications and content recommendations for Tumblr, WordPress.com, Jetpack and other products. Last year, our team launched a whole new search application for Jetpack sites, and we are building a new content discovery engine to drive engagement on Tumblr.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION AT AUTOMATTIC
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. DEI is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
HOW TO APPLY
Does this sound exciting?! If yes, click the Apply button and fill out our application form. Let us know what you can contribute to the team!