Relive is an app used by more than 10 million people to track and share their outdoor adventures. We think that being outdoors and exploring the world around you is amazing for your mental and physical wellbeing, and we’re on a mission to get everyone exploring the outdoors and living a healthy and active life.
We’re growing fast (this year we’ll add more than 1 million new users a month) but we’ve never paid a dollar to acquire a user. We currently grow 100% organically via viral/word of mouth growth loops – users share an activity from Relive to their social media and that triggers their friends to sign up too. We are aiming to have more than 100 million users of Relive within the next 3 years.
👩🔬 PMs at Relive
We’re looking for product managers to join our team so that we can invest in new areas of the product and increase our focus on existing areas. You’ll lead a small team (you + 5) and be given a clear focus area. Your job is to work with the team to understand the problem-space, find the right opportunities to have an impact and work together to execute on your strategy.
Each team is highly autonomous. All of our developers are full stack and are empowered to touch any part of our codebase. In practice, this means that no matter what you want to execute as a team there are no “stakeholders” to coordinate with, no dependencies on other teams, and almost no meetings.
💡 What would I work on?
This year we plan to start investing in a few new areas of our product. Depending on when you join you’ll end up being given a clear focus area and a kick-ass team. Some examples of team focus areas we’re investing in for 2021 include:
- Helping users to understand their health and wellness. Our users want our support in staying active, understanding how they are improving over time, and ultimately helping them to live healthier lives. This takes different forms for every user and can be a key reason to keep using Relive long into the future.
- Take Relive from single player to multiplayer. Relive is awesome today for your own activities, but it doesn’t get better as the community grows. We want to make Relive increase in value and enjoyment for our users as we continue to grow towards 100 million users.
- Give our users an activity tracker that they love. Today our activity tracker is functional but not lovable. We want to make it easier and more valuable for our users to track every activity with Relive.
⭐ The highlights
- We work in empowered and autonomous product teams. The teams are given clear focuses areas, ambitious objectives, and the safety and trust to do amazing things. The best summary of this mindset is Inspired by Marty Cagan. We like it so much that every PM who joins us gets a copy of his book.
- Our product is growing really fast – more than 1 million new users per month in 2021. We grow 100% organically, our users love our product and share it with their friends and family.
- The way we work as product teams is at the forefront of modern product building – no scrum, no backlogs or estimates, no coordinating across different departments, no red tape or CEOs telling you what features to build. Just smart people with high autonomy and lots of context about our users and the problems they face.
- If you want to work on a consumer product with insane growth and are ready to grow yourself and learn faster than you could ever imagine then Relive could be the place for you.
👋 Remote first
We’re a remote-first company. That means all our rituals and teams are designed for remote working. You can work in any country in a similar time zone (we’re CET) as we’ve not mastered the art of working across timezones and we don’t plan to invest our time in that challenge in the next few years. In practice, that means being located somewhere in Europe.
We have an office in Rotterdam 🇳🇱 where you can work if you prefer a physical space, and we’re happy to help you relocate here if you choose.
We expect everyone on the team to get together a few times a year as we still think it’s useful to make in-person bonds to strengthen our remote-first culture. That means a few times a year you can expect to travel to Rotterdam to spend time with your team, make connections, and have some fun together.
👍 Relive PMs are:
User obsessed – we talk to users constantly and dive into the data we have about their behaviour.
Analytical – we’ve got a lot of data and believe heavily in A/B testing whenever it is possible (almost always).
Focused on pointing the ship in the right direction – nobody is going to tell you what to do, you’re here to figure it out.
Risk takers – we won’t make an impact on the world if we only work incrementally. You need to be willing to make decisions and fail often, and we’ve build a culture to support that.
Pro tip 👉 You can find a more detailed overview of the traits we look for in a PM here.
👎 On the flip side, Relive PMs are not:
Fanatical about scrum – we don’t follow a rigid methodology. We have our own process and are constantly evolving it as we learn.
Project managers – you’ll get guidance and strategy from the leadership of Relive, but nobody is giving you projects to execute on or tasks to deliver.
Busy grooming a backlog – we don’t believe in backlogs full of tasks you’ll never work on. We don’t waste time with estimates or pretending that we can plan what tasks we’ll be working on in 6 months.
Unable to make a decision with limited data – we will never have as much data as we would like, that can’t slow us down from making decisions.
🙋 Who you are
Experience – You’ve built and scaled consumer products before. You’ve spent at least 3 years as a PM (or in a role building epic products)
More than a project manager – if your focus has primarily been delivering things into production this role probably isn’t for you. Nobody here is going to tell you what to do.
Strategies not hacks – you understand the core mechanisms that drive user retention and know how to prioritise where we should focus
User focused – You enjoy getting close to the user and understand the importance of mixing qualitative insights with quantitative ones
A proud generalist – You’re comfortable wearing many hats. We value PMs who can analyse data, debate usability principles with a designer, and discuss complex concepts with a developer. We’re a small and scrappy team with no room for specialists.
Fast learner, eager to share – Willing to learn and teach. You’re always looking to grow your skills, and you understand the value of helping to improve the rest of the team.