A brief update on Covid-19 (coronavirus)
Simply Business is well prepared to deal with unprecedented events. We’re an agile business by nature – and our hiring and interview process is no exception. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, some parts of our hiring process may take a little longer than usual. Please bear with us, and rest assured that we’re happy to hear from you and receive your application.
If it looks like you could be a good fit for the role, we’ll ask you to interview on Zoom – you’ll need WiFi and a laptop, or a 4G-enabled smartphone.
Technology. Award-winning customer service. Bleeding-edge data ability. Simply Business is a new type of insurance company, using all of the above to create the best possible insurance experience for small businesses and self-employed people. We love working here, and have even taken the number one spot in the Sunday Times Best Company To Work For 2015 and 16 lists; we’ve stopped entering now to focus on a few bigger projects, but you get the idea.
It’s a great place to work.
There are currently over 500,000 active Simply Business insurance policies in the UK alone. And we have offices in London, Northampton and Boston, USA. Talking of offices, ours are bright, airy and geared up for really smart working. We’re flexible, with plenty of remote workers coming in and out, and we believe work and life should be hand in hand, rather than a juggling act. So no need to worry about school pick-ups, or a horrible commute.
Our people are our most important asset, so we focus on building a working life that helps us thrive, not stick. We’re proud of our inclusive and supportive culture, and we’re passionate about creating an environment where everyone’s cultural backgrounds, skills, and perspectives are valued. Join us and you’ll be part of our journey to creating something even better, for our customers and ourselves.
Following the UK’s exit from the European Union, there are changes to Legal Right to Work legislation that applicants from the EU will need to be aware of.
Before 30th June 2021, EU/EEA/Swiss citizens have a legal right to work in the UK and can provide a passport as evidence of this. No visa will be required.
From 30th June 2021, EU citizens will be required to provide evidence of settled or pre-settled status in the UK as evidence of right to work. Without this, EU citizens will require a visa to work in the UK.
We need a Product Manager to join our team in either London or Northampton.
As a team we are responsible for increasing customer lifetime revenue and satisfaction. At Simply Business, we aim to be simpler, smarter and always on the side of small business. As our customers, small business owners and landlords can expect to manage their insurance quickly and easily, online or offline. As we learn more about our customers, we can give them the user experience they need, and ensure their cover grows with their business. This requires internal and external collaboration, across multiple product areas, commercial and marketing teams.
As Product Manager you will
- work with the senior product manager for customer success, helping to understand the problems and opportunities that arise in this space, and the underlying assumptions to explore
- lead the retention product team of software engineers, owning the backlog and sharing responsibility for delivery with the engineering lead, ensuring that the team has a clear mission, vision and focus
- take a global view of customer retention, understanding the relative positions of each market and tailoring your approach accordingly and recognising where opportunities in one market could benefit the other
- work with the customer experience and data analysis experts in the product discovery unit, helping to understand what opportunities exist to improve customer retention, and to find and test the assumptions and possible solutions
- work with stakeholders from around the business, such as marketing, insurance product, operations and finance, identifying opportunities, communicating and explaining changes and prioritising requests
- ensure that our renewal processes continue to meet the expectations of customers, insurers, regulators and our operational teams
- become an expert in the key lifecycle metrics for customer success, able to identify the areas of biggest impact, articulate the needs and expectations of business stakeholders, and contextualise those with trends in user behaviour and data analysis
- understanding the business landscape for customer retention, owning and prioritising a backlog of opportunities and ensuring the right pace of progress is in place
- collaborating with subject matter experts across the UK and US and product discovery experts to identify and validate product growth opportunities, taking a data-driven approach and learning to work with various experimental techniques, to ultimately formulate a product roadmap for the area
ensuring internal and external stakeholders are kept up to date with regular updates and clear communications on the progress of initiatives that support the delivery of the overarching product group strategy
- working closely with your product team and the senior product manager to ensure we deliver work in an efficient, cost-effective manner, whilst embracing ambiguity and developing a good technical understanding
- explaining to the product and engineering teams the business needs from our group, and why we are delivering changes at the point we are, based on an understanding of the market, competitors, data, and our customer needs
- working with product managers across the company to ensure validated opportunities are prioritised for delivery appropriately, tracking and reporting on their progress
What we are looking for:
- someone with humility, empathy and a bias to action, who is comfortable with ambiguity and excited to learn
- a clear understanding of product principles, agile methodology and the importance of a lean philosophy
- a collaborative approach to solving problems, knowing how to get the most out of team members and business partners, alongside a willingness to challenge existing approaches and ideas
- strong communication and interpersonal skills, a history of stakeholder management and decision making
- resilience and a drive to deliver outcomes over output, maintaining a focus on the customer at all times
- critical thinking and the ability to gather, process, synthesize and simplify complex information
- proactive risk elimination, looking after our business and our partners, to contribute to ruthless prioritisation
fluency with data, experimentation and the Build-Measure-Learn (BML) cycle
- a good cultural fit, who is respectful, fair and trustworthy, passionate, compassionate and collaborative
- appreciation of the complexity and power of software engineering, ability to weigh the costs against value delivered, able to command the respect of engineers and understand technical best practices
- software delivery experience, working with engineers and an Agile methodology to deliver results at pace
- facilitation experience, a familiarity with running small group sessions, or presenting to larger mixed groups
preferred experience in insurance or financial services
What are the benefits?
There’s all the serious (but important) stuff we call ‘core benefits’. On top of that, you can pick and choose from the more exciting options we offer – whether it’s a full gym membership, lifestyle pot, comprehensive private health cover, extra holiday or a National Trust pass.
The ‘core’ stuff
These are available to all staff from your first day. Here’s the summary:
• a salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day
• an automatic enrolment pension (employer-matched at 5%)
• generous holiday entitlement
• life assurance – 4 x your basic salary
• a health cash plan to reimburse your everyday medical expenses
• an extra day off if you get married or move house
• unlimited access to 24/7 virtual GP
• bupa nurse healthline
• employee assistance programme (EAP)
• eye care vouchers
• local discounts
The fun stuff
We also have a great deal more to pick and mix from, with things like:
• a full gym membership
• lifestyle pot (a pot of cash to be used against anything you want need: well being, personal development, hobbies or childcare costs)
• private medical insurance
• extra days annual leave (up to 5 days)
• shopping vouchers
• dental insurance
• travel insurance
• merlin pass
• taste card
But there’s so much more to Simply Business than insurance and memberships. We also commit to flexible working options, smart working (our offices are kitted out for you to work when and how you choose), cycle to work, eye test vouchers, and season ticket loan schemes, and we have a handy online form to put in any training or conference requests.
Best of all, though, are the groups, clubs, and adventures that come with the Simply Business territory. Forget a simple Give As You Earn scheme (although we’ve got that too) – we trek the Sahara for charity, take you on weekends away, throw epic summer parties, and meet up for book groups, public speaking coaching, yoga, manicures, beer brewing, and lots, lots more.
Everything we do comes down to these five values – empowerment, authenticity, simplicity, learning and pioneering. In practice, these will mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re considering working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.
We’re trusted to get the right stuff done in the way that suits us best
We respect the uniques skills and perspective that everyone has
If we can make it simpler, we do, and if we can’t then we explain it so everyone can understand
We’re always learning, developing and improving, and helping others do the same
We lead with purpose and make things happen