- one of the UK’s most popular small business finance apps with over 100,000 customers. We help small businesses sort out the mess and the stress of managing their business finances
- loved and adored by customers. We have an NPS of 70 (which is considered “exceptional”)
- rated ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ on Trustpilot. See what customers say
This is your chance to come and shape the future of small business banking and accounting!
The Role 👷
We’re looking for product designers to join our growing team to work on the core FreeAgent application.
Day-to-day, here’s what you’ll do:
- You’ll be in the driving seat and lead the design for your product area.
- You’ll be embedded in a cross-functional team and work closely with PMs, Engineers, and internal stakeholders to explore opportunities that lead to meaningful outcomes.
- You’ll work in close collaboration with our Research team to fully understand our users and their needs.
- You’ll proactively dig into existing insights, behavioural data and work with our domain experts to help drive the FreeAgent product forward.
- You’ll collaborate with other product designers to solve problems and craft consistent experiences whilst also using and contributing to our design system.
- You’ll be aware of business goals, risks, and engineering possibilities and work within constraints, knowing when to make trade-offs.
- You’ll use your facilitation skills to bring people together to explore and ideate.
- You’ll create rapid lo-fi prototypes to communicate user flow and features, and hi-fi prototypes to test workflows with internal stakeholders and FreeAgent users.
- You’ll deliver high quality, consistent designs and documentation for our engineering team and design system team.
- You’ll be part of our growing design community, participating in meaningful design discussions, including crits, forums, and drop-ins.
This is a great role for you if:
- You have at least 3+ years experience.
- You have a track record of designing user interfaces for complex applications, translating user requirements into elegant, usable solutions.
- You understand the importance of seeing the bigger picture to create the best user experience possible.
- You take an empathetic approach to your design work and your working relationships.
- You’re naturally inclusive with regard to web standards, usability, and accessibility.
- You can demonstrate fundamental UX methods.
- You’re an experienced facilitator and communicator.
- You’re experienced working with a team end to end, to deliver features and improvements.
- You’re articulate and can confidently present your design rationale.
FreeAgent’s Product Designers form part of a wider design department that also includes Communications Designers and UX researchers. We work closely together, share work often, and collaborate across teams. As a product designer at FreeAgent you’ll be expected to champion your work and explain and promote your ideas.
Front and centre to our work, we strive tirelessly to create the very best experience for our customers. We’ll encourage you to be brave, take risks and fail without fear, because we believe in the value of the journey and in learning by making. It’s fast-paced at times, but it’s always fun!
£35,000 – £49,000 per annum depending on experience, plus we provide a comprehensive package of employee benefits, which have been carefully selected to protect you, to promote healthy lifestyles, and to give you peace of mind. You can read more about these on our website.
Some perks of the job:
Budgets for training and conferences, Hack days, Social fund, Cycle to work scheme, Private medical insurance, Health cash plan, Employee assistance program, Virtual GP, Enhanced sick pay, Income protection, Life insurance, Pension scheme, Shares scheme, Season ticket loan, Tech scheme, 33 days holiday plus an extra day for every year you work at FA.
Creating the best place to work 👩🏽💻
We want people to be productive, to have career opportunities, to be focused on meaningful work and to have an excellent work/life balance. We value a diverse team, and we believe the variety of experiences and backgrounds in our team make us stronger. We believe in a learning culture and encourage self-development. We like to think we work smarter, not harder, which is why we stick to a 35-hour working week and still Get Things Done.
Normally, we’re based in our amazing office in central Edinburgh and our work environment is light and bright, with inspiring spaces and quiet places. This role will be based in the office part of the week, once we’re able to return. Find out more about life at HQ here!
Currently the whole team is working remotely. We’re well equipped to support this, as 20% of the team normally works from home on a permanent basis. We’re continuing our hiring and onboarding activity during this time and we’re finding alternative ways to stay connected and enjoy activities together, from our virtual art club to exercise challenges and cake decorating competitions. See how we’ve been getting on!
Make a difference 💫
We’re on a mission to make small businesses happier and more successful by putting them in control of their finances. Our accounting app is already used and loved by thousands of accountants and small businesses and this role is an exciting opportunity to contribute to a product that makes a real difference to its users and the businesses they run.
We’re seeing a revolution in the FinTech industry, and government initiatives such as Making Tax Digital and Open Banking are opening up new features and products for customers.The technology in this space is changing rapidly and at FreeAgent we’re working on the cutting edge. We’re focused on providing the best possible user experience for our growing customer base.
Applying for the role ✍
Our application process is simple: just upload your CV and answer a few questions about why you are interested in this opportunity.
Please attach a link to your portfolio. We’d especially like to see case studies that showcase your UX and UI process and design skills.
Our selection process includes a phone call with a member of our Talent Team, followed by two interviews, one of which includes a presentation. You’ll get the opportunity to meet the team and ask us questions too. We work hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent, and enjoyable as possible.
We really care about building an inclusive and diverse team and we welcome applications from people with varied backgrounds and perspectives. We want to make sure that the people who build FreeAgent reflect our diverse customer base and bring with them a range of ideas and experiences. What unites us is an openness to suggestions and a drive to solve problems in the best way possible.
Don’t forget to tell us why you think FreeAgent is the right place for you to make a difference!