We are recruiting for a Technical Design Lead!
We are Nesta. The UK’s innovation agency for social good. We design, test and scale new solutions to society’s biggest problems, changing millions of lives for the better.
We confront challenges that affect millions of people, from chronic childhood inequality to ill-health and the climate crisis.
We believe that innovation is more possible now than ever before. We see opportunities to mobilise citizens and influence behaviour. A wealth of private and public capital that can be used more creatively. Pools of data to mine.
And so we draw on these rich resources by bringing together multidisciplinary teams: data scientists, designers and behavioural scientists, practitioners at the frontline, academics; and people with lived experience.
Together, we design, test and scale new solutions to society’s biggest problems. We partner with frontline organisations, build new businesses and work to change whole systems. Harnessing the rigour of science and the creativity of design, we work relentlessly to put ideas to the test.
The Technical Design Lead is an internal Nesta technology role which supports Nesta’s work in leveraging technological solutions to derive greater impact in its areas of focus.
You will work collaboratively with a wide range of Nesta’s teams to rapidly prototype and advise on building and commissioning technological solutions to complex problems across a variety of projects, meaning that every day will be different. Using your understanding of the latest engineering trends, you will help to combine all elements of technology: data, integration, smart applications, core applications, infrastructure, operations, and embedded security.
This role will suit someone with both broad and deep knowledge of technology who enjoys getting their hands dirty in developing prototypes or creating an MVP. You may have previous full stack development or CTO experience.
As our Technical Design Lead, you will work collaboratively with a wide range of Nesta’s teams to rapidly prototype and advise on building and commissioning technological solutions to deal with complex problems across a variety of different projects. You will also work with Nesta’s Discovery function to identify and assess the potential of promising, cutting-edge technology-based ideas and approaches to achieving our Missions.
● Provide advice/support to Nesta’s new Venture Studio (to be set up in early 2021), including on the quality and commercial prospects of new ventures’ tech and on UX design
● Work closely with Nesta’s leaders to prioritise projects within capacity constraints
● Make hands-on software development contributions to the different areas of the technology stack
● Ensure software meets all requirements of quality, security, modifiability and extensibility
● Ability to develop or inform development of prototypes, incorporating a wide range of technologies and with different project purposes
● Experience in a Senior Engineering position, building and managing solution and scalable best-practices
● Experience in delivering and ideating an MVP
● A track record of delivering well-engineered products that meet user needs
● Full stack experience using multiple languages and frameworks, with a proven portfolio
● Experience in presenting technical concepts in a non-technical environment
● Ability to represent Nesta effectively with external stakeholders, including commissioning and potentially overseeing tech-related work and engaging with Nesta’s delivery partners as a collaborator, problem-solver, and catalyst
● Experience in applying technological solutions to the pursuit of social good, plus awareness of some of the challenges and nuances in this area (i.e. a ‘grounded optimist’ about the potential of tech-for-good)
What we offer
Salary: £52,499 plus array of benefits, including health cash plans, dental insurance, the ability to buy and sell annual leave, eyecare vouchers and more
Location: This role is based in Blackfriars, Central London, but we offer flexibility for our people to work remotely
Hours: This is a full-time role but we offer a range of flexible working arrangements and encourage our people to take advantage of them. Many do.
Reports to: Director of Design
Making an application
To apply for this role, please submit your application before 8:00am on the 3rd of March 2021.
Interviews will take place w/c 8th of March 2021.
At Nesta, we believe that a diverse workforce leads to an organisation that is more innovative, more creative and gets better results.
We want our workforce to represent the diversity of the people and communities we serve. We also want our workplace to be one where different experiences, expertise and perspectives are valued, and where everyone is encouraged to grow and develop.
This means that when we are recruiting, we actively seek to reach a diverse pool of candidates. It also means that we are happy to consider any reasonable adjustments that potential employees may need to in order to be successful.
We recognise the importance of a good balance between work and home life, so we do everything we can to accommodate flexible working, including working from home, compressed or part-time hours, job shares and other arrangements.
Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process (and beyond) if these are options you’d like to explore.