🥜 In a nutshell: We’re looking for a product leader and first product hire to help build the future of team cohesion. You’ll get a competitive package, meaningful equity and lots of impact, and be part of our leadership team.
We’re Unlock, a platform for virtual experiences to build better team cohesion and culture. Our mission is to unify distributed teams through fun and purposeful interactions and create moments of delight for millions through our curated activity marketplace. We are a remote-first team ourselves, backed by top-tier VCs and angel investors.
We’re looking for someone driven, capable, and caring to build and lead the product function at Unlock as our first full-time non-engineering hire and key member of our future leadership team.
We need you because we’ve got a beta already running but now want to build the best, most engaging platform for virtual team experiences in the world. You’ll have autonomy, flexibility, meaningful equity, a great working environment, a meaty challenge and a chance to make an impact by getting in on the ground floor of something big.
👋 Who we are
You can read more on our detailed “working with us” page. But here’s some flavour:
- There are eight of us at the moment, three co-founders and five engineers.
- We’ve got a product in private beta and are planning a public launch soon.
- We’ve just raised our seed round and are backed by top tier VCs and angels.
- We are operating out of London but are remote-first and happy to hire anywhere within 3 hours of GMT.
- Our work culture highlights fun, teamwork, execution and ownership, and generous benefits.
- We like to spend time together and get to know each other as people and not just co-workers.
- We know there’s more to life than work and respect each other’s personal time.
- The most commonly-used emoji in our group chat is 🔥
🤘 The role and your future with Unlock
In three words, you will own the product.
In a few more words, your role is to understand what customers want right now and in the future, working to ensure that all of our engineering and customer acquisition efforts are aligned to those needs. As the first product hire you’ll own the entire product lifecycle, impact everything we do, help develop the product strategy and vision, and set up our processes for scaling up.
You’ll get your hands dirty and own every detail over the first few months, and we will then gradually hire a team to support you. You will manage that team and strongly influence who we hire for it, growing into a Head of Product. You will work with the founders, the engineering team and our customers, advisors and investors. You’ll report to the COO, who will be the one directly accountable for your success, but we will all do all we can to make this an incredible and worthwhile journey.
🏗️ The day-to-day
As this is a senior role, you will largely set your own priorities, goals and ways of working, and figure things out on the fly. But some key elements will likely include the following.
- Spend time with potential and existing customers and understand their problems and requirements.
- Build out a robust user research process, with both qualitative and quantitative aspects, helping to make sure future development is truly based on user needs.
- Prioritise the product roadmap, and collaborate with the engineering team and the technical product owner to ensure ongoing improvement, alignment, focus and speed.
- Analyse and track the competition, and iterate the product’s positioning on the journey to product-market fit and beyond.
- Lead product ideation and develop concepts and sketches for testing and iteration.
- Set up and manage best-practice product management processes and usage analytics tools.
- Be a key member of the Unlock leadership team as we grow, managing the product team (UX and UI design, user research, activity and experience curation, product analytics) and working with the founders on wider strategic questions.
🎯 Who we’re looking for
Below are the key traits and experience an ideal candidate will probably have. But people’s stories are all different and we’re not looking for someone who fits in a box – so this is a wish list, not a precise recipe. If the role sounds exciting to you, please drop us a line in any case 🔥
We’d really want you to…
- Be someone whose personality and preferences suit an early-stage startup: you move fast, you learn fast, you’re curious, you take initiative, you are ok with uncertainty, you have a team-first mentality, you help others, you’re kind, you’re driven and you have a hunger for building something great.
- Be excited about the problem we’re solving – building team cohesion in distributed workplaces and communities.
- Love to get your hands dirty and build stuff from scratch, but want to grow into a management and leadership role.
- Have a few years of PM experience at a strong product-focused tech company, and be very familiar with PM tools of the trade, frameworks, and best practices.
- Have a proven track record of bringing an entire product cycle to fruition successfully, from start to finish, creating proven impact and value to customers.
- Be comfortable being out in the world, working with customers and other stakeholders and not just “behind your desk”.
It would be a plus if you also…
- Have experience as a PM of a B2B product.
- Have experience as a PM of a product related to remote work, real-time events, marketplaces or video platforms.
- Have experience at both a growing early-stage startup and a larger tech company.
- Have additional deeper expertise on top of the PM toolbox, such as UX or analytics.
💪 How to apply
If this sounds exciting to you, we’d love to hear from you. Just click here and leave your details.
A reminder: you can read more about the process and our offer in our “working with us” page.
Let’s create moments of delight! 😍🎢🚀💪🔥