Want to build the future of bike share? Worldwide, Motivate is responsible for tens of millions of bike share trips annually, and we are looking for a Director of Hardware Product to execute on our shared vision for the future of urban mobility.
The Director of Hardware Product will be responsible for shaping the future of Motivate’s bike share platform. You will work with our in-house and partner design and engineering teams to conceptualize, design, test, build, and launch new hardware products to meet the needs of Motivate and its diverse customer base.
This is a challenging position that requires a high-functioning product manager with experience prioritizing requirements and working with engineering teams. This position will work out of Motivate’s headquarters in Brooklyn, NY and will report to our VP of Product. Travel will be required up to 25%, with limited periods of increased travel around new product or system launches.
Motivate, parent company of Citi Bike in New York City, is the global bike share leader and a partner to governments and nonprofits in some of the largest cities in the world. We have unparalleled expertise in building and operating large, complex bike share systems.
Led by a group of seasoned urban visionaries, creative leaders and technology innovators, our mission is to revolutionize the landscape of our cities. In an effort to completely transform the urban experience, Motivate is leading the way in making cities more accessible, healthier and sustainable. We create safe and dependable systems that help make cities great by connecting individuals to the people and places they love.
About the Job
- Serve as product owner within Motivate for all hardware products, setting priorities based on your synthesis of our business needs and what is best for the customer
- Take products and projects through a complete development cycle including requirements, design, testing, manufacture, launch, validation, and support
- Find, analyze, and report on the data which validates product performance and drives continuous improvement
- Manage key product development relationships
- Manage schedules and budgets for ongoing product development projects
- Assist Supply Chain team with supplier and quality management as needed
- You have a proven track record of technology product management, on a product delivering high-impact hardware to users. You’re a powerhouse of roadmap management, a pro at turning requirements into hardware
- You love improving customer and operator product experiences
- You always have a hypothesis of your own, but know that most of the best product ideas come from those using and working with the product every day
- You get as much of a thrill from making things reliable and easy to maintain as from making things fun and easy to use
- You believe that if it’s not documented and it’s not tested, it didn’t happen. And that with large numbers of connected devices, this happens as much in a big database as it does in a testing lab
- You over-communicate in documents and in person, with numbers, pictures, and words
- You are equally comfortable working and interacting with people in the office, in the lab, in the factory, in the shop, and on the street
- You work independently, live in the details, and obsess about risk in everything you do
- You are extremely organized and are comfortable project managing the development cycle from start to finish
- Training and experience in mechanical, electrical, or systems engineering
- Experience with design, operation, and/or maintenance of field-deployed customer-facing integrated hardware products
- Experience with SQL, Excel, and intermediate level data analysis tasks
- Experience with 3D modeling and/or 3D design
- Passion for bicycling and bike share definitely a plus!