Position: Technical Product Manager
Contract: 6 months FTC
Salary: from £36,216 per annum (pro rata)
Start date: ASAP
We are looking for a Technical Product Manager to work on a new decoupled front end platform for BMJ, with a focus on performance and accessibility. Key tasks include migrating pages from TBMJ and other BMJ products over to the new front end platform, and maintaining the existing platform and pages on bmj.com.
- Liaise with all stakeholders to consider their needs for the development of all pages in the new decoupled front end platform,
- Regular and open communication with stakeholders, including but not limited to Digital Product Manager, Engineering team, Editorial team, UX Designer, Marketing team, Operations manager, Highwire, other BMJ Product Managers
- Running team sprints, setting and meeting sprint goals, working closely with the engineering team
- Leading daily stand-up, backlog grooming, sprint planning and retrospective meetings
- Managing the backlog – develop scope, define backlog items, and prioritise depending on user need and business requirements
- Serve as the voice of the user
- Evaluating product success, monitors KPIs and reports back to stakeholders
- Deliver product vision and goals set out by Digital Product Manager
Approach to work:
- Dealing with complex technical and business issues, requiring strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to undertake research, and understand new technologies if/when a problem is unfamiliar which will enable the role holder to contribute to solutions, and assess other suggested solutions from the engineering team
- Breaking down migration of complex pages into discrete chunks of work
- Negotiate with teams over resources and priorities
- Ability to communicate complex technical information to a lay audience of internal stakeholders
- Managing stakeholders expectation on features, functionality and delivery times
- Working with editorial team to understand editorial workflow requirements
Qualifications & Skills
- Graduate or equivalent
- Proven product management skills, with emphasis on communication and collaborative working
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Ability to prioritise workload
- Strong organisational skills to enable smooth effective running of sprints
- Analytics skills in order to assess product performance
- No direct line management but post holder will be required to supervise and influence teams to deliver requirements on time
- Ability to solve complex technical problems as and when they arise
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact Tashan Chong-Kan on 0203 6555508 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Why should you apply?
BMJ is a global healthcare knowledge provider with a vision for a healthier world. We share knowledge and expertise to improve healthcare outcomes.
You may know us as the publisher of one of the world’s most cited general medical journals, The BMJ. We also publish over 70 specialty journals, many of which are the most influential titles in their field.
We also offer digital professional development courses and clinical decision support tools to help medical institutions and clinicians tackle today’s most critical healthcare challenges.
Evidence underpins everything we do – it’s what makes us one of the world’s most trusted knowledge providers. And the figures speak for themselves. More than 50 million users from over 150 countries access our websites every year.
BMJ is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the British Medical Association (BMA), with nearly 500 employees worldwide. Our head office is located within the Grade II listed BMA House in Euston, London, with more offices in China, India, North America, and Wales.
As a values-driven company, we have pride in our people and take equal opportunities very seriously. We welcome individuality and all qualified applications from a diverse range of candidates.
Those who come to work with us are assured of a rewarding career in an increasingly global company. In return, we offer a great place to work with a wide range of benefits, including:
- Twenty-five days holiday entitlement plus bank holidays, a BMA Day the opportunity to gain more holiday entitlement through long service employment
- Additional days’ leave for moving house, volunteering or getting married
- Onsite gym, fitness classes and subsidised canteen and cafeteria
- Double matching employer pension contribution, up to 12%
- Multiple discounts [from major stores] through MyReward employee benefits platform.
- Season ticket loan, gym membership and cycle to work scheme
- Seven x salary life assurance cover
- Regular social events, diversity and inclusion groups, and charity fundraising initiatives to get involved in