Oxford Nanopore Technologies is looking for a UX designer who is keen to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. This person should be able to make a strong case for their work and be able to explain their design process to various audiences. The work entails designing for scientific software that will be used by hundreds of customers around the world. Looking for someone in Oxford, UK. Willing to consider semi-remote UK positions for the right candidate.
We are looking for a talented individual to join our Informatics team as a UX Designer. The successful candidate will work closely with our customers to develop customer use cases and requirements. You will provide insight into the best way to develop our software to meet the needs of our customers, contributing heavily to the design and flow of the software to make it enjoyable and functional for our customers to use.
Reporting to the Associate Director – User Interface, and working with others in the UI team, the successful candidate will be responsible will for designing the look and feel of our external-facing software, as well as contributing to the design vision of future external software projects.
The main responsibilities for this role include:
- Collaborating with the Product Management team to define and clarify user requirements and use cases.
- Perform user research with external customers.
- Creating and communicating requirements for the software development team based on use reasearch and business cases.
- Creating workflows and interactive wireframes for user testing.
- Incorporating flows, wireframes and stakeholder feedback into high fidelity designs for the development team.
- Performing iterative rounds of testing on new designs and workflows to ensure that development work remains faithful to user needs and business cases.
- Help guide and define user experience and design principles to create design standards in line with our brand boook and assets library.
What we’re looking for…
We expect you to be educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant subject (UX Design, Human-computer interaction, Human Factors Engineering) with some familiarity with biology or another science related field. Experience with methodologies such as Design Thinking or Lean Product Design. Demonstable prior experience in UX design at a software company is a must.
The ideal candidate will also:
- Be able to perform user research and effectively translate the research into user stories.
- Participate in the design experience throughout the entire product lifecycle.
- Have a good understanding of software development lifecycles.
- Have substantial previous experience of using design tools such as Adobe XD, Illustrator, Photoshop, Figma, etc
- Be a creative thinker with an eye for good design.
- Have excellent communication skills, with the ability to collaborate with a variety of teams and users, both internal and external.
- Possess accurate attention to the small details
This is an exciting role and chance to join a cutting-edge, fast-paced organisation with opportunities to utilise new technology and influence change.
Please note that no terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person’s gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
Oxford Nanopore Technologies Ltd is a private company headquartered at the Oxford Science Park outside Oxford, UK, with satellite offices in Cambridge (UK), New York, Cambridge, San Francisco (US), Singapore, Shanghai, Beijing, and a broader commercial presence that includes Japan, Germany, France and India. The company sells to nearly 100 countries and is in a period of rapid growth.
Oxford Nanopore employs about 500 employees from multiple disciplines including nanopore science, molecular biology and applications, informatics, engineering, electronics, manufacturing and commercialisation. The management team, led by CEO Dr Gordon Sanghera, has a track record of delivering disruptive technologies to the market.
Oxford Nanopore’s sequencing platform is the only technology that offers real-time analysis (for rapid insights), in fully scalable formats from pocket to population scale, that can analyse native DNA or RNA and sequence any length of fragment to achieve short to ultra-long read lengths.
Our goal is to enable the analysis of any living thing, by anyone, anywhere. We offer real-time nanopore-based DNA/RNA sequencing technology: accessible, easy to use and fully scalable for any requirement.