Flowminder is a fully project-funded not-for-profit organisation that enables decision-makers to access the data they need to transform the lives of vulnerable populations. We’ve had great success primarily with a service-focused model and are ready to extend our impact with the addition of a product-focused model. The key to this transition is hiring our first in-house product manager.
About the programme
The OPAL programme (for Open Algorithms) — originally developed by a group of partners from the MIT Media Lab, Imperial College London, Orange Group, Telefonica Group, the World Economic Forum, and Data-Pop Alliance — uses Mobile Network Operator (MNO) data for public good purposes while preserving the end-user’s privacy. Applications for these data include supporting disaster response resource allocation, improving disease spread models, and planning public infrastructure work.
The Flowminder Foundation’s objective with the OPAL programme is to open access to such data at an affordable cost while fostering civil society’s inclusion and inputs on the kinds and uses of analyses performed on these data.
Flowminder will implement the OPAL programme in collaboration with the MNOs Digicel in Haiti and Orange-Sonatel in Senegal. The activities will focus on developing and operationalising the technology, supporting the set-up of national committees with representatives from the civil society, developing the collaboration with the MNOs that ensure their long-term commitment, and supporting pilot use cases and capacity strengthening in both countries.
About the role
As the first dedicated Product Manager at Flowminder, you’ll build products that help decision-makers in low- and middle-income countries use data to improve their populations’ wellbeing.
Externally, you’ll work deeply with governmental agencies, INGOs, NGOs, and MNOs. Internally, you’ll work closely with business leaders to integrate product management best practices into the organisation’s processes and communication structure. You’ll also partner with our engineering team to develop implementable product specifications. Ultimately, you’ll provide the necessary product management leadership that will enable Flowminder to succeed at a critical time in our organisational development.
- You have at least 2-5 years of product management experience across the entire product development lifecycle.
- You are a fantastic listener and communicator who loves performing deep customer discovery.
- You are fluent in both English and French. English is used inside of Flowminder and with many of our partners. French is used with many of our in-country partners, primarily in Senegal & Haiti.
- You are a self-starter who has a diverse product management toolkit that you can’t wait to deploy.
- You feel equally comfortable conducting formal discussions with a governmental agency’s representatives as you are discussing technical issues with our engineering team.
- You excel in an environment that is direct, collaborative, and mission-driven.
- You are excited about the opportunity to have a voice in decisions that are outside of your product management purview.