BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
Who is BigCommerce
BigCommerce (Nasdaq: BIGC) is a leading software-as-a-service (SaaS) ecommerce platform that empowers merchants of all sizes to build, innovate, and grow their businesses online. As a leading open SaaS solution, BigCommerce provides merchants sophisticated enterprise-grade functionality, customization, and performance with simplicity and ease-of-use. Tens of thousands of B2B and B2C companies across 120 countries and numerous industries use BigCommerce to create beautiful, engaging online stores, including Ben & Jerry’s, Skullcandy, Sony, and Woolrich. Headquartered in Austin, BigCommerce has offices in San Francisco, Sydney, and London.
Our mission is to power unrivaled ecommerce success at every stage of our customers’ growth. We equip growing businesses with the world’s most effective platform for creating beautiful stores, attracting customers wherever they shop, and generating sales. Online businesses using Bigcommerce can outsell and outperform those on other platforms.
About the role
We are looking for a Product Manager to focus on the Shopper and Developer experience of the BigCommerce Storefront platform (“Stencil”). As a part of this role, you will work closely with a few engineering teams, our API strategy group, as well as the rest of the Product & Engineering organization. In this role, you will need to be working with cross-functional stakeholders such as Marketing, PR, Strategic Business Development Team and other teams to make sure that there’s a cohesive strategy across the board. Our Storefront Platform is where many features of the BigCommerce platform are expressed to e-commerce Shoppers on behalf of our customers, so you will develop familiarity and relationships with many areas of the product and their associated teams.
What you’ll do:
- Own the product strategy & execution of new features and underlying improvements to make the Stencil storefront platform & associated APIs beloved by all of its customers, across theme developers, merchants, and e-commerce shoppers
- Ensure the BigCommerce storefront platform remains world-class in terms of performance, getting ahead of new trends affecting web performance & SEO
- Ensure the ecosystem of BigCommerce Partners and 3rd party developers are enabled to build beautiful branded storefronts on top of our platform with best-in-class developer tools, which lend themselves to performance and SEO best practices
- Gather inputs from cross-functional stakeholders (Marketing, Business Development, Sales, Finance etc).
- Define and communicate business outcomes and performance metrics to key stakeholders throughout the organization.
Enthusiastically lead your teams, consisting of developers, designers, and quality engineers, towards your vision with effective delivery.
- Work collaboratively with your teams to break complex projects into small projects, with each iteration adding more customer value.
- Prepare comprehensive Epics & Stories for your development teams.
- Explain to the development team(s) all details of stories before/over development (organization of explanation process — planning, grooming meetings etc.)
- Work with the Design team to design & prototype new features.
- Validate new functionality with customers before development.
- Demo new functionality to the stakeholders, the organization and customers.
- Analyze the entire product and propose ways to improve it.
- Analyze data to measure the impact of product improvements, and then iterate to constantly optimize performance.
Who you are:
- Depending on the size and type of teams/companies you’ve worked at in the past, that could translate to anywhere from 2 to 4+ years’ experience in a hands-on product management role.
- You’ve worked in an environment where website page-load performance and end-user experience was a key metric
- Proficient in web performance auditing, at a level where you can explain best practices of web performance to others
- Familiarity with REST and GraphQL APIs in a frontend web development context
- Familiarity with WebPageTest, Google Lighthouse, and/or other performance auditing tools and frameworks.
- You have worked in SCRUM Agile methodologies and understand the process.
- You’re passionate about building next-generation products for the fast-growing ecommerce industry.
- You have worked on platform artifacts and understand services, APIs and frameworks.
- You have a technical background, or have a technical orientation, enough to get in the weeds with engineers to understand the pros and cons of different technologies, design and potential solutions.
- You have a laser focus on the customer which enables you to have a deep understanding of their pain points and how they use the product.
- You use data to inform and defend your decisions.
- You’re able to develop a long term plan and then work with the team to break it into smaller chunks, each adding more customer value.
- You value market research and, when it comes to the competition, you have your finger on the pulse.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion at BigCommerce
We have the opportunity to build not only a great business but a great company, with soul. Our beliefs and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion are a central part of achieving that.
Our dedication to DEI is grounded in two things: a moral belief in the dignity, value, and potential of every individual, and a practical belief that diverse, inclusive teams will create the best outcomes for our customers, partners, employees, and company. We welcome everyone to be a part of our journey .