Who we are: BAL is a team of brilliant people who change lives through elite immigration work and collaborative innovation. We pursue the exceptional in all that we do, but never at the expense of our values. There’s no denying our work is demanding, both in volume and pace, but we’re up for the challenge. We love the balance of hard work and fun – so, you’ll see us in jeans as we shatter glass ceilings and conventional stereotypes. BAL employees feel valued, rewarded, and respected. We seek opportunities to be of service to others and our communities. We are committed to your growth and development, and want to set you up for success here at BAL and beyond.
Who you are: You are looking for work that has purpose. You aren’t afraid to roll up your sleeves and get stuff done. You learn quickly. You move fast. You embrace challenge and detail as well as creative thinking. You believe you have something unique to contribute and you aren’t afraid to raise your hand. You understand that powering human achievement is ultimately about impacting a real person. You are looking for a place to grow and an environment where everyone has a spot and is genuinely welcome.
We’re better together: A bright, driven person like you and an industry-leading powerhouse like BAL? It’s a perfect combination! We truly want to see you succeed here and become an integral part of our mission to provide an experience that makes a positive difference in people’s lives. Come be a part of something special, where you can have an impact and be valued just for being you!
Berry Appleman & Leiden is not your typical law firm when it comes to technology. We’ve built an in-house Products team from the ground up that is dedicated to building the best technology in our industry. Our Products Team supports our flagship SaaS product, Cobalt, which won the 2020 SIAA CODiE award for “Best Legal Solution” and was a Tech Titans Finalist for Corporate Innovation. We also built our industry’s first mobile application, and we’re looking for new trails to blaze in 2021!
As Head of Product Management, you will play an integral role in end-user satisfaction from driving the strategy and roadmap our products. You’ll be a key member of the Products Leadership team, along with the leaders of Application Development, CloudOps and Product Support. You will set the strategy and direction for BAL’s suite of products, chart the course of product delivery and maintenance across markets, lead the product management team and ensure we are making high quality decisions about the solutions we deliver to our diverse group of customers.
- Lead, inspire and grow the Product Management team and UX Designers, from setting and monitoring objectives and key results (OKRs) to day-to-day workload management.
- Partners with leadership to set and govern product strategy and ensures product delivery in alignment with that strategy.
- Be a mentor, coach and player to the Product Management team to produce high quality deliverables under strict deadlines; provides feedback and mentorship to the team.
- Create execution strategies and set priorities for your team.
Ensures the Product Management team is fully staffed with high quality, collaborative and productive team members.
- Articulates and disseminates corporate strategy into an overall strategy for BAL’s suite of products.
- Leads internal stakeholders, executives and partners through product lifecycle planning discussions.
- Partners with the Engineering Manager to provide collective coaching and quality controls around the agile software development process – artifact production, ritual management, quality outcomes and process improvement.
Plans the delivery of releases across multiple teams, instances and products.
- Leads Product Management aspects of major client outreach strategies such as client road shows, voice of the customer exercises, Advisory Boards, etc.
- Obsessed with a great client experience and oversees feature adoption and success.
- Oversees the execution of successful roll-out plans and– manages expectations and change factors for both customers and internal stakeholders throughout the process.
- Ensures viable migration and end-of-life plans that preserve revenue and mitigate risk.
- Supports the transition from one product lifecycle stage to the next by leading activities like fit/gap analysis, migration planning, end of life planning, etc.
- Serves as a subject matter expert and product spokesperson for the product portfolio.
- Clearly and confidently communicates via demos, feature summaries and other artifacts to both internal and external audiences.
- Leads go-to- / in-market activities like win/loss analysis, roadmap planning, and competitive analysis.
- Oversee third party vendor tool evaluations and ensure that the right products for the organization are thoroughly vetted and approved by all party stakeholders.
- Lead the vetting process for third party vendors and contractors along with the Engineering Manager where applicable; assist in the on-boarding for those individuals.
- Work closely with the Procurement team where required to ensure BAL is fairly represented in all contracts with third party tools and vendors.
- Work closely with other IT Department leads where required to provide support.
- Coach, lead, and motivate team to meet strict deadlines.
- Determine and adjust team and individual objectives.
- Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Responsible for establishing a positive work environment, providing career development opportunities, executing performance management, conducting. feedback sessions, maintaining accountability and establishing goals for continuous improvement.
- Bring extraordinarily high personal energy to the task at hand, and create an environment that fosters passion and teamwork.
- Understand and has experience in leading change.
- Oversee the on-boarding of new employees. Provide training to new and exisging staff as needed.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to learn and use product management software, such as JIRA, AirTable or other applications.
- Expertise in the use of Microsoft applications; specifically Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio.
- Knowledge of Agile SCRUM and Lean methodologies.
- Ability to learn web analytics tools like Google Analytics, Heap or Mixpanel.
- Knowledge of wireframing or prototyping tools such as Balsamiq, Sketch, or Invision.
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative research methods, such as pivot tables, surveys, and focus groups.
- Ability to work independently and in a collaborative team environment.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- 7 plus years of work experience in a product management role within an enterprise software company with supervisory experience.
- 3 plus years of management experience preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of multiple agile software development practices, and a proven ability to apply the right approach to the right situation.
- Proven application of user testing and prototyping paradigms.
- Proven success with building business cases and conducting opportunity analysis.
- Proven ability to build relationships and manage expectations across all levels within an org – specifically with executive level roles for stakeholders and clients.
- Proven ability to successfully navigate a player/coach roles and translate your knowledge into tools, resources, processes, that create lift and improve whole parts of a products organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – specifically strength in leading executive level conversations and/or large format speaking opportunities.
Minimum Education Level:
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical, human factors, or business field.
- Advanced degree or MBA desired.
- Certifications: Agile, Pragmatic Marketing, Project Management, Scrum Master desired.