Genomics England successfully led the world-leading 100,000 Genomes Project, which compared and analysed individuals’ genetic codes to help diagnose, treat and prevent illness.
We’re now accelerating our impact, working with the NHS to further develop and embed genomic healthcare and research in Britain. Our next chapter involves working with patients, doctors, scientists, government and industry to improve genomic testing, and help researchers access the health data and technology they need to make new medical discoveries and create more effective, targeted medicines for everybody.
Are you a skilled software Product Manager with previous technical experience as a software engineer, technical lead, data architect, or similar?
We’re looking for someone who can help build and run our genomic data processing platform, which allows for the real time processing of genome data for Genomic Medicine Service (GMS). The GMS is a live service run in partnership with the NHS. The platform analyses huge volumes of genomic data in real time, and provide tools for bioinformaticians and developers who are developing bioinformatics analyses.
The problems to solve in this area are highly technical and the platform is being transitioned to the cloud (AWS), therefore, a strong technical background would work well.
As a Product Manager here, you’ll be the facilitator of the products we build. This is an opportunity for you to combine your communication, leadership, pipelining and defining skills to take responsibility for our groundbreaking scientific products that will directly impact the advances of personalised genomic medicines in the UK.
Everyday responsibilities include:
- Articulate the product vision to the team
- Lead, organise, inspire and unblock engineers (software, DevOps, and QA), and others within the multidisciplinary team with sharp analysis and well-communicated decisions
- Design the roadmap for product creation, breaking up delivery into meaningful, achievable goals
- Plan the pipeline and make sure wherever possible, tech is reused
- Interpret how customers use our live products and translate that data into new opportunities for features that solve real problems
- Translate user needs into compelling stories, which developers can use to build the product
- Identify opportunities for innovation and efficiency, and turn these insights into concrete outcomes that align with our strategy
- Define how your products get held to account, and make sure those metrics get tracked, including commercial accountability
- Advocate and promote work across GEL to encourage champions and early adopters
Skills and experience for success
- Experience of leading a team, including ability to mentor, coach and create a collaborative environment
- Experience building and navigating complex Big Data platforms
- Experience of agile development/delivery of software / SaaS services
- Successful at (and enjoy) collaborating with people from a variety of backgrounds
- Able to influence a range of stakeholders at a variety of seniorities but also willing to listen and take on board other opinions and ideas
- Highly proactive and a practical problem solver who likes to figure stuff out rather than explaining why it can’t be done.
Originally conceived as a project, Genomics England has transformed to meet the opportunities created by our scientific breakthroughs in understanding the Human Genome. Being part of this journey is a reward in itself, however we’re pleased to offer our colleagues a great benefits package including:
- Competitive salary
- 30 days holiday
- Generous pension scheme
- Individual learning budgets for every colleague
- A raft of other benefits