Genomics England successfully led the world-leading 100,000 Genomes Project, which compared and analysed individuals’ genetic codes to help diagnose, treat and prevent illness.
We’re now accelerating our impact, working with the NHS to further develop and embed genomic healthcare and research in Britain. Our next chapter involves working with patients, doctors, scientists, government and industry to improve genomic testing, and help researchers access the health data and technology they need to make new medical discoveries and create more effective, targeted medicines for everybody.
Are you a skilled software Product Manager with previous experience as a geneticist or bioinformatician?
We’re looking for someone who can help run our genome analysis pipeline product, which is a key component of the Genomic Medicine Service, which is a live service run in partnership with the NHS. The product utilises cutting-edge genomics techniques to analyse genomes and provide insights on diagnosis, prognosis and therapeutic outcomes for patients.
Some of the problems to solve in this area will require you to work collaboratively with users and inject more innovation to the methods we use. For example, improving our algorithms using Machine learning techniques.
As a Product Manager here, you’ll be the facilitator of the products we build. This is an opportunity for you to combine your communication, leadership, pipelining and defining skills to take responsibility for our groundbreaking scientific products that will directly impact the advances of personalised genomic medicines in the UK.
Everyday responsibilities include:
- Articulate the product vision to the team
- Lead, organise, inspire and unblock designers, developers, data scientists, bioinformaticians, and others within the multidisciplinary team with sharp analysis and well-communicated decisions
- Design the roadmap for product creation, breaking up delivery into meaningful, achievable goals
- Plan the pipeline and make sure wherever possible, tech and design patterns are reused
- Interpret how customers use our live products and translate that data into new opportunities for features that solve real problems.
- Expect to interface regularly with clinicians and geneticists from the NHS
- Translate user needs into compelling stories designers can use to draw user flows and interactions, and developers can use to build the product
- Identify opportunities for innovation and efficiency, and turn these insights into concrete outcomes that align with our strategy
- Define how your products get held to account, and make sure those metrics get tracked, including commercial accountability
- Advocate and promote work across GEL to encourage champions and early adopters
Skills and experience for success
- Experience taking a complex software product from discovery to running live
- Experience of leading a team, including ability to mentor, coach and create a collaborative environment
- Experience building and navigating complex data products, ideally ones that utilise AI techniques such as Machine Learning
- Experience of agile development/delivery of digital services
- Successful at (and enjoy) collaborating with people from a variety of backgrounds
- Able to influence a range of stakeholders at a variety of seniorities but also willing to listen and take on board other opinions and ideas
- Highly proactive and a practical problem solver who likes to figure stuff out rather than explaining why it can’t be done.
This specific role within genome analysis pipelines could suit an individual who has some prior life experience as a geneticist, bioinformatician, data scientist (or similar) who has recently moved in to product management. If you’re not sure about the fit then please do get in touch as we’d be happy to check the fit. Plus, there are multiple product management positions available so another area may fit instead.
Originally conceived as a project, Genomics England has transformed to meet the opportunities created by our scientific breakthroughs in understanding the Human Genome. Being part of this journey is a reward in itself, however we’re pleased to offer our colleagues a great benefits package including:
- Competitive salary
- 30 days holiday
- Generous pension scheme
- Individual learning budgets for every colleague
- A raft of other benefits